• Register Today It's free!

Heater Blowing Cold Air

imperfexshun

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC
I just had my intake manifold and thermostat housing repaired (both had been leaking for a long time). When it was supposed to be ready to pick up, they called me and said they had discovered a couple of vacuum hoses unconnected so I picked it up the next morning instead. When I tried to use my heater last week, it was blowing cold air (maybe 40 degrees?). I called them, but the person who would know was not there. So I found reset info online for the digital heater controls [With the motor plugged into the harness and the heat off, press "Off" and "Floor" at the same time, release both and press "Auto" within two seconds. If the motor is bad a code in the 20's will display, but with a new motor on mine the little display danced circles and the motor then cycled. Pressing "Defrost" will reset the display.]. I followed that guy's instructions and it did dance around the screen; then it gave me code 024. Since that time the heater has been blowing maybe 55 degrees (I have tried setting it all the way up to 90 degrees to try and get it warmer than 55), so at least 55 is better than 40 degrees. While it was going through the reset, I did hear the clicking; but I haven't heard any clicks since.

The heater worked really well before the repairs. Can any of you tell me what the 024 code is, or does this issue sound like it has to do with the vacuum hoses? I'm planning to take it back to the shop for them to fix whatever they didn't, as this is not something I want to mess with (I don't do well in the cold), and it may be beyond my ability anyway. Besides, if they didn't do something, then they should fix it... but I would like to know what they should be looking for, if possible. Thank you, guys... I've learned a lot from this forum.

I just had my intake manifold and thermostat housing repaired (both had been leaking for a long time). When it was supposed to be ready to pick up, they called me and said they had discovered a couple of vacuum hoses unconnected so I picked it up the next morning instead. When I tried to use my heater last week, it was blowing cold air (maybe 40 degrees?). I called them, but the person who would know was not there. So I found reset info online for the digital heater controls [With the motor plugged into the harness and the heat off, press "Off" and "Floor" at the same time, release both and press "Auto" within two seconds. If the motor is bad a code in the 20's will display, but with a new motor on mine the little display danced circles and the motor then cycled. Pressing "Defrost" will reset the display.]. I followed that guy's instructions and it did dance around the screen; then it gave me code 024. Since that time the heater has been blowing maybe 55 degrees (I have tried setting it all the way up to 90 degrees to try and get it warmer than 55), so at least 55 is better than 40 degrees. While it was going through the reset, I did hear the clicking; but I haven't heard any clicks since.

The heater worked really well before the repairs. Can any of you tell me what the 024 code is, or does this issue sound like it has to do with the vacuum hoses? I'm planning to take it back to the shop for them to fix whatever they didn't, as this is not something I want to mess with (I don't do well in the cold), and it may be beyond my ability anyway. Besides, if they didn't do something, then they should fix it... but I would like to know what they should be looking for, if possible. Thank you, guys... I've learned a lot from this forum.

Code 024 indicates a blend door problem. If the blend door is broken (or if the actuator has taken a dump, both of which are pretty common failures), the blend door isn't moving to allow air to flow through the heater core. Hence the cold air you're experiencing. That doesn't really have anything with the repairs you had done. Just bad luck.

Code 024 indicates a blend door problem. If the blend door is broken (or if the actuator has taken a dump, both of which are pretty common failures), the blend door isn't moving to allow air to flow through the heater core. Hence the cold air you're experiencing. That doesn't really have anything with the repairs you had done. Just bad luck.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and explain this. I was hoping this would be something they were responsible for. Oh well, another thing to put on my list...

Thank you for taking the time to respond and explain this. I was hoping this would be something they were responsible for. Oh well, another thing to put on my list...

If the blend door actuator is the issue, it's a pretty easy fix. if the blend door is broken, fixing it the "proper way" requires removal of the dash, which is a huge job. however there's a short-cut way to do it by cutting a hole in the heater box to gain access to the blend door. The short-cut method can be found in the "Useful Threads" section of this forum.

Back