Heater Core Issues (1996 Ford Expl XL 4.0 5spd) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Core Issues (1996 Ford Expl XL 4.0 5spd)

snyd20

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XL
I'm not sure if my heater core is going bad or if there are external lines on the outside that could be going bad. Why I ask this is because I was told if the core itself was going bad it would leak inside my Explorer, this isn't happening, at least not as of right now. However it does steam pretty bad when I run my defrost and it slightly steams when I run just the heat. Since the issues seem to be primarily under the hood that is why I thought maybe there were some lines or hoses that could be bad. It seems to me that the antifreeze/coolant is leaking onto the exhaust(or something else that is hot) and causing the excessive amount of steam. Or am I just being overly optimistic and it's the whole heater core going bad? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm obviously just a novice and I also can't afford to pay roughly $500 to have it replaced professionally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds like a heater core. If you dont want to pay it to be done take a weekend and do it yourself. throw some aluminum radiatior seal in it for now.

Dono, I believe that may be what the problem is! I found the heater control valve and it is definitely leaking. Thanks for the advice!

I love this site! Combined knowledge saves us all a ton of money.

Back