Heater core woes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater core woes.

mwhazup

Reaction score
City, State
al
Year, Model & Trim Level
have a '95 ranger and recently been smelling antifreeze inside the cab while driving. also, noticed what looks like steam coming from a/c vents when it's on and while driving. motor is running hotter than usual but thermostat seems to be working. water level drops everyday and has to be replaced. i'm sure the heater core needs to be replaced, but do i have to remove the entire dash? had a pontiac once and it took me a day and a half to replace the heater core. really don't want to go thru that again. please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its anything like the first gen then you are in luck. Basically what i did was locate the two tubes in the firewall, passenger side in the engine bay. They have metal clips on em that you need to remove. Inside the cab, passenger side again, there should be a panel thats clipped in. Mine is gray as you can see in the picture below. There are little black tabs that keep it locked in place, they pop out pretty easily. You should see the heater core in here once removed. When reinstalling it you might want someone to hold it in place while you put the tubes back on. When you go to buy the heater core pick up a mechanics book too. Its how i figured out mine.

P.S. I just wrote this in about 5 mins, so sorry if it doesnt make good sense.

100_1383.JPG

welcome to the site

Back