• Register Today It's free!

heater core

sparkypuck

Reaction score
City, State
thousand oaks, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer limited edi.
hi. its been two years since i drove my explorer, been in-n-out of the hospital. before i stopped driving was overheating inside the car above the heater core. when i stop coolant leaks behind the firewall on passenger side door. took core out and there was standing water in the base below the core were i assume were the water drains out. in the process of removing hoses to the core , i freaken snapped the the heater valve and replace it with a new one. my ques is how do i check to see if the core is good or do i need to go to a radiator shop to have it testing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the original core, do yourself a favor and get a new one. They are fairly cheap, and it sounds like the old one was leaking anyway.:usa:

I agree- don't even mess with it, just replace it.

thanks

thank you guys for the input. i was like 65-35 on getting a new one, now u made 100% going to get a new one.

While your at it go ahead and grab a couple new hose clamps when you pick up the core. The old ones are not much fun to deal with. You can cut the hoses right behind the old clamps and just leave them on the old core. Don't worry there will be plenty of hose left after you cut.

have new core and hoses and clamps. yes or no should i back flush the system. or should i just drain the radiator and worry about that later. want to drive my green machine again.

When I did mine a few weeks ago I did not do a flush and it is working fine. Just make sure to fill the new core as best you canto eliminate air bubbles in the cooling system.

When I did mine a few weeks ago I did not do a flush and it is working fine. Just make sure to fill the new core as best you canto eliminate air bubbles in the cooling system.
ok cool. i'll worry about later.

have new core and hoses and clamps. yes or no should i back flush the system. or should i just drain the radiator and worry about that later. want to drive my green machine again.

When I did mine, I pulled the hoses off and capped them so I didn't lose all my antifreeze. I caught the stuff that fell, swapped the heater core, and refilled prior to starting the truck.

I didn't have any bubble issues.

Back