Heater hose routing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater hose routing?

cosmicbang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
On a 94 XLT the heater hoses are currently looped together in the engine compartment (bypassing the heater). I just replaced the heater core and want to re-connect the looped water hoses, but don't know which goes where. There are 2 short hoses that lead from the heater core to a plastic control valve and there are 2 water hose connections on the other side of the plastic control valve that I need to hook up. One of the looped hoses comes from the top of the water pump area and the other one comes from somewhere lower--hard to see.

Can someone please tell me which hose goes to which connection on the control valve? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i have a 91 an they have no valve but the one from water pump goes to ur inner most pipe coming outa fire wall . or if u stand by fender the one pipe that is furthest from u . dont think it really makes a diff though cant do any damage that i know of if u get it wrong just no heat then ud just swap ur hoses around :)

I just replaced my heater hose and in the process destroyed my heater control valve.

First the valve was only $18.50 from PepBoys. So if your is original (has a metal vacuum solenoid) you may want to get a new one while you are at it, as my OE valve supply tube crushed under the compression of the hose clamp while replacing the supply hose.

The hose coming off the the thermostat is the supply and it goes to the valve fitting closest to the passenger side. If you have them on backwards, you will get heat when your temp is set a cold, and cold when you want hot.

If you need a picture, let me know and I can snap one for you.

Andy-

2009-02-25_151449_0000.gif

1998 Ford Explorer V6 OHV VINX

I just replaced my heater hose and in the process destroyed my heater control valve.

First the valve was only $18.50 from PepBoys. So if your is original (has a metal vacuum solenoid) you may want to get a new one while you are at it, as my OE valve supply tube crushed under the compression of the hose clamp while replacing the supply hose.

The hose coming off the the thermostat is the supply and it goes to the valve fitting closest to the passenger side. If you have them on backwards, you will get heat when your temp is set a cold, and cold when you want hot.

If you need a picture, let me know and I can snap one for you.

Andy-
thanks Andy, a picture would be great. i'll start with the explanation when i get back to the garage. Where is the heater control valve locate?
Do you have anything that depicts some of the emmissions lines? I'm not sure what these two lines are but they need to be replaced. the long lead connects the intake manifold to a valve under the driver side wheelhouse, the other line goes from the same valve to a line located underneath, near the oil filter. another reader stated these are EVAP lines. Napa, rockauto, oreilly were unable to identify them. attached are pictures. can these items be sourced by someone other than Ford?

can2.jpg

line.jpg

View attachment 293651

1998 Ford Explorer V6 OHV VINX
thanks Larry.
Do you have anything that depicts some of the emmissions lines? I'm not sure what these two lines are but they need to be replaced. the long lead connects the intake manifold to a valve under the driver side wheelhouse, the other line goes from the same valve to a line located underneath, near the oil filter. another reader stated these are EVAP lines. Napa, rockauto, oreilly were unable to identify them. attached are pictures. can these items be sourced by someone other than Ford?

can2.jpg

line.jpg

Back