Heater smells like anti-freeze- '97- V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater smells like anti-freeze- '97- V6

mattcoverdale

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
When I turn on my heater, I get the strong odor of anti-freeze, thus letting me know there is a leak somewhere. How would I go about find this leak and fixing it??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pop the hood and turn on the heat and see if your leaking antifreeze anywhere.. I suspect either the heater control valve or maybe your heater coil is leaking.

If your heater core is leaking, you might find antifreeze the the floorboards near the heater ducts. Are you loosing a significant amount of antifreeze? How long does it take until you need to refill the reservoir?

Be sure you confirm that it is the heater core that is leaking before replacing it. Heater core replacements tend to be a pain in the rear.

Had this issue in an old Mustang. But, no leaks were ever found. But, it WAS the heater core. The leak was small enough to atomize the coolant. That's why you smell anti-freeze when you turn the heater (& fan) on. You might even see vapor coming out of the ducts.

Had the similar thing happen to me, but it was the thermostat that needed to be replaced.

Back