• Register Today It's free!

Heating Problem

drhymer

Reaction score
City, State
LAFAYETTE,INDIANA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 SPORT
I have a 2000 sport.just the other day at a stop light i noticed that it was idling really fast.it was idleing @1100 rpm and is usually at about 500 0r 600.then later i noticed the temp gauge was getting pretty high.yesterday it did it again.but this time it would go up then come right back down.

oh yeah the idle only goes up after it has ran for about 15 minutes.i dont have alot of money to be throwing at it right now.so i thought i would see if anyone else has any ideas.i am starting to think thermostat.does that sound like a possibility to anyone else?please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you're on the right track, suspecting a cooling problem. The computer will try speeding up the motor to cool it down. Check your coolant level. Easy to do & no cost.

I'd replace the thermostat. Shouldn't cost more than $5.

the coolant level is full and i just got a thermostat.man those have went up since i last bought one....lol.17.00 now.gonna try that.

captTelescope said:
I think you're on the right track, suspecting a cooling problem. The computer will try speeding up the motor to cool it down. Check your coolant level. Easy to do & no cost.

Huh? Forgive the dumb comment here, but wouldn't speeding the engine up increase the amount of heat produced?

My first thought would be: his thermostat was wide open (broken), so the engine wasn't getting up to temp (since it's colder out than it has been). The computer wanted it up to temp, so it was going into high idle to attempt to increase the temperature?

Did you just state things in reverse, or am I misunderstanding how these things work. (honest question here, I'm not busting your chops)

Savant, CaptTelescope was right on. The computer will increase the idle speed when it senses an overheating problem. It does this to increase fan speed and the water pump circulation to try and cool more coolant quicker. The computer will also alter the transmission shift points to cause the engine to rev higher.... So if your Ex starts idling high and hard shifting, then chances are you have a cooling problem - t-stat stuck closed most common cause, but bad temp sensor is another.

Thank you, TPLynch. You said it more eloquently than I coulda. Yes, Savant, it's kinda counterintuitive. No offense taken. :)

ah, well that makes sense then. Consider me learned. :)

Back