heavy duty steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heavy duty steering

I'm working with a friend on designing a heavy-duty steering for his explorer, using 3/4 ton tie rod ends, a drop pitman, and a reamer to re-taper the holes.

Has anyone done this? We talked about the superrunner steering kit, but the only way to get parts for that puppy is from Superlift.. which is no good if you break a tie rod end in the middle of no-where.

I am thinking of switching it from an inverted-Y to an inverted-T, using a combination of tube to make the tie rod and drag link.

I gave a thought to making an inverted T style to help out the old bump steer. I scratched it though for a SAS :rolleyes: .... which I havn't figured out the steering on yet, high steer inverted T is all I know so far.

It would be a great idea just as long as it is less than the superrunner system though.

Chris

Are you guys bending the stock steering? If you are, you may want to look at steering geometry. if your geometry is off, it'll put a lot of stress on your steering components. You're smart to stay away from the Superrunner steering-REALLY BAD GEOMETRY! Crossover steering would be the only way to eliminate bump steer, but you got to build it right.

Not bending that stock links, but completly redesigning that links all together.

Back