Heeeellllppppppp!!!!!! Need help asap! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heeeellllppppppp!!!!!! Need help asap!

Bjb9288

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 ford explorer eddie B
Okay I have a 02 ford explorer Eddie Bauer edition. The battery died and now after jumping it half of the dash isn't responding. The temp, rpm, and speed indicators won't move. They will cycle all the way up but hesitate coming back down after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminals.
I looked at the message center to see the odometer's numbers had been replaced with dashes and a message said "FUEL ERROR" above. I tried pushing the "fuel reset" button below the glove box but that didn't change anything and the message was still there. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and still no help. I went into the setup menu and did a system check and got a list of errors: Oil life data error, engine sensor data error, and charging system data error.
i can't drive like this, please help me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be low voltage. I had an '04 F-150 do this when my alternator died. I put in a fresh battery to get it home it was fine. The doors kept trying to lock and unlock, and the lights came on real dim when I drained the battery down driving home with the bad alternator. Put a full charged battery in there and see what happens.

Do you have a meter to check the charging condition on the system? It sounds like what roush9799 says....bad battery or bad alternator or both. Sometimes a bad battery will take out the alternator and a bad alternator will take out a marginal battery. Either way, you need to check out the charging system first thing. Jumping may have gotten the vehicle to start but it doesn't mean the battery is up to snuff. Or the charging system.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

I've checked both, it starts up fine now. For some reason the dash is just irresponsive and now its not catching first gear just second.

When you jumped the battery did you at any time hook the cables up backwards?

Jumping today's cars can damage the ECM/PCM.

[MENTION=220892]Hudsonf[/MENTION] I don't remember but it is a possibility, why?

I tried the disconnecting, it's still showing service engine soon and the battery light right under with no response from the Rpms, speed or temp gauge. Also it's not will not engage the first gear because I guess it can't tell how fast it's going.

I tried the disconnecting, it's still showing service engine soon and the battery light right under with no response from the Rpms, speed or temp gauge. Also it's not will not engage the first gear because I guess it can't tell how fast it's going.

Did you try draining the power to the memory? The computer will store enough power to retain the memory for awhile. When I changed the plugs in my sons Ford Fusion it held the memory for over 3 hours. Even the radio held it's memory.

I will have the shop try it. [MENTION=220892]Hudsonf[/MENTION]

Back