• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hehe Dreamr's new rockcrawler

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Since this thread is basically turning into my rc trucks elite registry, I figured I would clean up the leading post and make a concise picture of my crawler rather than making everyone read the entire thread.

The Truck and Current Mods / Upgrades

Traxxas E-Maxx 2.5 "wide maxx"
Battery powered with dual Titan motors and the Novak EVX speed controller.

Hehe forget all them little hop-ups for the stock maxx. Independent suspension sucks!!!!

Follow the link for the details... Some stuff was re-used everything else is homemade from whatever kind of Aluminum you can buy at Home Depot :p
Maxx SAS

Armor / chassis
Well it is all homemade custom (Aluminum)
-electronics "rollcage" (homemade :rolleyes:

Suspension / Tires / Steering
-4-link suspension (Links are 5/8 brass tube over 8/32 rod)
-Revo Rod ends
-Lower links have a second sleeve that is from a carbon arrow shaft
-Hot Bodies Aluminum Threaded Big Bore Shocks
-RC Raven Variable Rate Coil Springs
-LST Claw tires
-Modified Stock Rims for Better Airflow /Tire Flex
-Narrowed stock wheels
-modified foams
-Titanium Turnbucles
-Hitec HS-645MG High-Torque Servo (steering front and rear)
-Kimbrough extra heavy duty servo savers

Drivetrain / Axles
-Traxxas spooled front axle (A-arms locked out)
-Traxxas Spooled Rear Axle (A-arms locked out)
-Allied Heat Sinks for the Motors
-Dynamite CVD's Front and Rear
-Speed controler sealed and cooled lexan box
-Waterproofed reciever
-Reduced pinion gear to 9t pinion and 72T spur
-Traxxas Revo center drive shafts
-Battery Mounts relocated to the axle

Body / Exterior
- Second Generation Explorer Sport
- Super bright LED lighting (4 front white 2 rear white 2 rear red)

That's all right now, but she will get built more month by month, so stay tuned..............................................

IMG_02491.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

A bit of history
Pictures :D
Of course you will find these pictures throughout this thread, but it'll soon hit 7 pages and I know many just click on the link and read the first few posts so here you go....

Brand new out of the box with a bit of armor added(April 2005)
201223-9-05_new_toys_004.JPG

20122bearing_006.jpg

December of '05 with some primer, front and rear spools, 15T pinions, Titanium Turnbuckles, And CVD's all around. And of course the above armor.
2005-12-20_traxxas_0031.JPG

March Of 2006.......SAS'ed with 4-link
maxx_sas_012.jpg

The new body and tires March '06
etc_001.jpg

etc_049fg.JPG

IMG_1670.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
Glad to see we drink the same coffee.

Java good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, coolass crawler. :D

Jeff - :navajo:

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
So far it has been a fun little toy, but I have a feeling it is going to be a costly hobby :D

1st order of buisiness is some havy duty skid plates to protect it from the rocks. Then I need a bit more flex, a spool in the rear, bigger tires, and lower gears. And to find one of them Explorer Bodies that Parma used to make.

Sad part is I have already flipped it at high speeds a few times. :roll:
No damage but the ugly body is quickly gaining character. :D

Albino 94LTD

Recovering from Moab 2016
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
Sum Beech :(

Where the h3ll you getting all this money???? :cool:

Albino 94LTD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
He's coming over tomorow to help put on my James Duff lift. I think I'll try to talk him out of a couple toys. Maybe threaten him with a call to the FBI if he doesn't come through:D

Albino 94LTD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
If I ever wear out these Michelin's :rolleyes:

He wants to put his BL on mine when he goes SAS. That might make enough room for 33's but then I'll have to regear to pull the boat. :(

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Albino 94LTD said:
He's coming over tomorow to help put on my James Duff lift. I think I'll try to talk him out of a couple toys. Maybe threaten him with a call to the FBI if he doesn't come through:D

Hmmm....where did that cash come from?
Side jobs and I quit spending money on ...........other things ;)

Albino 94LTD said:
He wants to put his BL on mine when he goes SAS. That might make enough room for 33's but then I'll have to regear to pull the boat. :(

Hehehehehe

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
thats an E-maxx not a gas one right? the emaxx is good for slow crawling but will never be faster than a gas one... however the gas one cant do slow crawling either....

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
I went with the electric primarily because I got it for 60% off retail new in the box, and it had a twin peak ac/dc charger and 2 2400 MAH battery packs thrown in for free. Gotta love Craigs List!!

This thing is awesome on the rocks and for riding nasty hiking trails. :D Overall pretty damn fast for a newbie driver too. It has a 2 speed tranny and hits about 30 mph on the road according to the owners manual. I have flipped it a few times already. :roll:

Sad thing is that I lost control today and hit a puddle doing about 15-20 mph.
I fried the speed control when it sunk in over it's hood. I didn't realize untill to late that I should have immediately pulled the batteries and dried the evx out. I parked it with the juice still on to dry and suddenly pffff pss smoking parts and no more playing :( .

That's ok I guess, I learned my lesson, and my other browser window is open while I order parts. I have scarred the hell out of the bottom, so I's gonna order: all in aluminum (blue): front skid, tranny skid, rear skid, steering servo skid, body pins, and bumpers. As well as a new EVX speed control, a rear spool, and a handful of the stock plastic parts for spares. :bounce: Basicly just the armor for the areas showing the worst scars.

Still searching for the Parma Explorer body :cool: I'll send the EVX I have now in for warranty repairs so I have a spare next time this happens as well. As other stuff brakes I suppose I'll upgrade to aluminum then.

By the gods this is going to be an expensive hobby! It's amazing how much carnage I have off of two rock crawling runs, one "trail ride", and one big grassy area with a hidden puddle. Whatever though I just sold a pair of Brazilian Rainbow Boas for $850 so I can play a bit I guess.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Cool! Is the E-Maxx the dual-engine one? Those are quick. Electric R/C's are faster than gas.

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
huskyfan23 said:
Cool! Is the E-Maxx the dual-engine one? Those are quick. Electric R/C's are faster than gas.

Yeah it has two Titan 550's in it. I may upgrade to the pro 900's at some point, but I kinda like it not being too damn fast right now while I learn how to drive one of these things. The gas one is rated for 40 mph :burnout: though you can't beat the low end torque of the electric.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
You should swap to some low-turn motors and a Super Rooster ESC ;)

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
huskyfan23 said:
You should swap to some low-turn motors and a Super Rooster ESC ;)

What is the super rooster speed control??
I was curious if I could swap in the marine version of the Novak EVX for a little water resistance..........

SOCO69

Reaction score
City, State
BATAVIA OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer
i have a 2.5 t-maxx and i love it but it can be costly to play with it seams to me that every time i play with it i break something thats why i got a job so i can play hard i also have a .16 durtrax im looking to sell if anyone is intrested make me an offer

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Thanks for the info Froader. I have been really pleased with the Novak EVX so far with the exception of my little incident with a very deep puddle, luckily I was able to get it running again, maybe I'll go brushless motors with a new ESC in the future. ;)

I can't wait for all my new parts that ups tracking says will be here thursday.

So far I have temporarily incapacitated my speed control ( the puddle), shattered the front skid, blown 2 shocks, cracked a body mount, and mangled my body :D

Not bad for a week and under a dozen runs :eek:
Hopefully I have learned to keep my speed down and just play in the rocks and on trails :rolleyes: Though it is kinda interesting to send it cart wheeling. LOL

All the parts are being replaced with t-6 aluminum. I think I gave a parts list somewhere up above. I edited my order a bit though as I no longer needed a new ESC.

Man I am never going to get around to rebuilding my axle with this new toy. Hehehe

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Woo Hoo I got most of my new parts in yeaterday!!!! I am still waiting on another box with more maintenance supplies as well as a couple minor upgrades, but this was a good start :cool:

20122traxxaS_002.JPG

I was originally going to add a spool to the back, but was told to try it with 300K weight diff lube first as this will lock it up except when under extreme stress such as steering. So far it has worked great!!!! Still have the spool coming in my missing box just in case I get brave and decide to snap an axle shaft anyway :D

So here she be all put together under the body.
20122traxxaS_under_body.JPG

Of course all my upgrades at this point with the exception of the battery hold downs are about strength or armor.

20122traxxaS_armor2.JPG

And of course my first priority after work today was to give it a test run. :burnout:
I like the extra traction from the rear, though it did reduce my top speed slightly it was worth it offroad. Which is where it drives 90% of the time anyway.
Just got a bit dirty.
20122traxxaS_got_dirty.JPG

20122traxxaS_008.JPG

Hmm The pictures don't do the filth justice.................
Alright enough of this pre-occupation. Back to the garage and the Dana 30 teardown for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

evoq007

Reaction score
City, State
Boxford, MA(Home); Rochester, NY(School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
I just sold my racing tmaxx on ebay. I got sick of dealing with nitro. I also had to pay for my new TC i bought. Those emaxx's definately are fun. if your going to get batteries. buy them from maxamps.com i bought my racing packs from there and they are amazing. the new 1.18volt gp3300 rock. I have one recommendation for your emaxx. If you want it to handle alittle better, and also be alot more durable look at the proline suspension kit for it. I put one on my T and it made the biggest difference.

Scott