• Register Today It's free!

Heim joint TTB?

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4
well here we go. im just gonna flat out ask.
has anybody gone to a heim joint on a TTB?
im asking because of my recent discovery at the savage yard. this...
IMG01625.jpg

when i then stuck them on my rig i noticed that the TREs looked like they were at a weird/harsh angle for flex or driving.
IMG01635.jpg

and because of this, (or at least i think) i dont have much if any room to align my truck correctly. so either way ill be spending money or fabbing something.
IMG01634.jpg

now, does anybody have experience with heim joints? i really need some advice and some ideas on how to convert them. also, any specific brands to watch or "steer" (lol) clear of?
any advice would gladly be accepted. thanks guys, Tyler:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the steering out of, another Explorer or Ranger, Bronco II?

Looks to me like it still has plenty of adjustment, just thread the tie rods in more or thread the inner part of the adjustment sleeve out, so the amount of threads on either side of the sleeves are about equal, which will allow you to adjust the alignment correctly with them.

Heim joints are used on the TTB, usually as a replacement for the radius arm bushings, but there are plenty of trick steering systems fabbed up using heims as well.

From the looks of things, you've got a 5.5" lift on there. Some Explorers are using a Superlift Superrunner steering kit, which seems to be a good option for lifted Explorers, especially with a bit of tweaking. A heim joint steering setup can be nice too, but unless you have the stuff to do the fabrication yourself, or have someone who can do it for you, it's rather costly, for both the labor and the parts.

the arms came off of a '92 2wd explorer.
and that pic was taken before i had a chance to "align" it. and i have about 1 thread left to screw it in, yet my steering wheel is still at a 90* angle. it tracks straight, but i just have to imagine my steering wheel is straight.

i am up for fabbing things, thats actually what i plan on doing as a profession....but with this economy who knows. i have access to a full machine shop and the knowledge to use them, from your basic drill press to a HAAS 4 axis CNC machine. but the shop is an hours drive away....and i can only use it around my work times as well as their work times. (they also would have to make room for my little tasks which cuts down productivity)
im also on a limited budget but am willing to pay what is necessary to have a safe vehicle.

PS, im also going make some extended rad. arms, also with heim joints in them.

Those look nothing like my 92.are you running and drop pivot arm for steering.looks like they have been bent for a lift.

Well these came off of a bone stock 2wd '92...
These do look beefy as hell compared to my stockers. At the passenge side the threads are about from 3/4 to 7/8 thick.

Maybe they are custom?...I duno

That's normal, however, those 2wd tie rod ends, even though they fit, will not work on the 4x4 steering rack and visa versa.

That's normal, however, those 2wd tie rod ends, even though they fit, will not work on the 4x4 steering rack and visa versa.

Seems fine so far... As long as I don't wheel with it at the moment.
Tho why won't they work?
Will they work if I fab some heim joints ok the ends?

Yes I know they are straight, I've got one now sitting on the garage floor.
The whole reason for changing it up was to not have to buy the stupid 200 dollar skyjacker extreme drop arm. I'm currently running the regular rough country drop arm which is 2.5 inches from stock I believe.
If this can work on a 2wd truck and maintain flex, then why can't this work on a 4x4 too?
The only real difference I see is the differential and a fatter beam. And since the drag links on the 2wd are larger around, then wouldn't it make them more ideal for a 4x4?

The outer TREs on a 4x4 are shaped different as well. Here's a picture.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1282072

The 2wd linkage (on a Ranger anyway) goes to the bottom of the arm on the knuckle. That's why those outer TRE have that strange kink in the body.

Yeah that is rather interesting... Which is why I started this thread as to why the heck there is a bend in the body, and if possible, can I swap those out for heims?

So are we all in agreement that the TREs are no good in this case?

Whay can't they be aligned? They should still be able.but as soon as they flex they would max out.

They are prob for the d28 different knuckle.hemi won't work.its a tappered hole and they would mount they wrong way and max out unless they mounted vertical to the knuck

I'm not saying they can't be aligned, I'm saying I couldn't align them.

For some reason the passenger side TRE is long, and when it is even screwed all the way into the sleave it still is too long....which is another reason why I was just brainstorming using a Heim. (I will max out that TRE really soon, a heim...not so much)

They are prob for the d28 different knuckle.hemi won't work.its a tappered hole and they would mount they wrong way and max out unless they mounted vertical to the knuck

If i were to use a heim I would drill out the knuckle to 1/2" or even 5/8" max.(I have access to machine shop tools) Then make a custom sleave with the correct size/threading for the heim. Then screw the stock side of the sleave on the drag link and put a bigass heim on the other end rather then a TRE.

Heims aren't cheap,by time you get done rigging it you could have just bought the fa 600 and been done with it

25 bucks a pop?
This is still a brainstorm.

Why not just use 4x4 ends?

Also to get flex you would have to mount them vertical so they would flex uo and down but when you mount them that way you would not have any turning radius.mount them horizontal and you get no flex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just use 4x4 ends?

Believe me, that was my first reaction. But he shanks on the 2wd vs 4x4 are different. The 4x4 shank on the TREs are much smaller diameters then the 2wd.
Why the F did ford decide to do that?!

Back