Hel!! 96 Explorer with 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hel!! 96 Explorer with 4.0

jplinville

I make knives...and invest in bandages.
Reaction score
Here, there, a little bit of everywhere...
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Too many to list here...
I bought this vehicle in hopes of fixing it and using it this winter...

The O/D light flashes and won't shift from 2-3 until I let off the gas. The O/D light stops flashing upon restart, and it drives fin until I reach highway speeds.

What causes this?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll probably have to take it to a tranny shop and have them pull the codes. The O/D light flashing means the tranny ain't happy!

You'll probably have to take it to a tranny shop and have them pull the codes. The O/D light flashing means the tranny ain't happy!

+1 Pull the codes

I don't have an OBDII scanner...would the 'Zone or Advanced be able to pull the codes, or would I have to either find one or go to a mechanic?

I have a similar device, it will not read transmission codes I had to go to a mechanic with a Snap-On SOLUS PRO scanner.

I had to have it towed tonight to my mechanic. I programmed a used key fob, and now it won't start. I'm not sure if it's the security system screwing with me or if it's just coincidence.

Either that or I have a VERY dark cloud hovering over me everywhere I go.

Could you please specify the complete model details of your ride..? What I could sort is as bellow...Figure out if the bellow symptoms are matching your case...!

Transmission Control Switch (TCS) and Lamp Operation
The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module (PCM) to allow automatic shifts from first through fourth gears or first through third gears only. The PCM energizes the transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL) when the switch has been pressed to cancel overdrive. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on) and electronic pressure control (EPC) circuit shorted (lamp flashing) or monitored sensor failure.

Sorry that it took a week to get back to this...

1996 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 and automatic transmission.

Back