Hellish Wheel bearing and seal

Ford_Racing_Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
so i put my Receiver hitch on the other day and noticed that the pass side rear wheel was very dirty like greasy with dirt coating.

so i figured the wheel seal was shot, so i pulled the wheel off brakes and the backing plate, i went and bought a new seal and when i took the old one out the new one was quite bigger, i looked the the seal again, its suppose to be the right one......so i went to Napa today and talked with the parts guy and we figured out that its an Axle Repair bearing that comes with the seal and everything. so now i have to replace the bearing because you cant' get just a seal for it.

now to get the bearing out, i have no tooling to do this, so i ordered a kit of axle bearing pullers i hope this does the job.

i've spent 65 bucks so far on lube and a seal, and now i need to spend 60 more, i'm getting irate

anyone else have something simply go wrong like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It happends everyday at the shop..

But you need a better parts person, I usually give them the 3 strikes and your out.. After the thrid time of getting it wrong I dont goto that place anymore, or i'll ask to speak to i different employee who know somewhat about trucks

it wasn't the parts person fault, i'm pissed at the person who repaired the axle the first time and didn't do it right.

i just hope i can get the bearing out without to much difficulty so i can get the damn thing on the road again, i mean i just installed the hitch and wiring found the exhaust leak and fixed it and plus it has a full tank of gas and now its sittin in the garage on jackstands and i'm driving my crappy 92 around.
just sucks.

You can get just the seal. I replaced mine while I had the diff apart replacing the gear lube a couple summers ago. They were just starting to ooze ever-so-slightly.

-Joe

well i figured out that a repair bearing was installed before i got the vehicle.

and no you can't get a replacement seal for those because...well i don't know why.

so i put in a new repair bearing instead.

Back