• Register Today It's free!

Helllllpppppp

Lisar68

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford explorer
Hi guys I have a 1997 Ford explorer and it was running great and then the other day I went to make a stop turned off the vehicle went back out to start it and it would crank but it wouldn't start up start so I went and bought a fuel relay while it cranked over but then when I went to turn it up again it wouldn't start back up could it be the fuel pump or the sensor or help on anything I do have fuel pressure I got fuel coming out the lines so could it be the fuel pump center if anyone knows please let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ll need to test the fuel pressure. Most auto stores will rent you the tool.

Any other issues prior? V6? Check engine light? No fast flashing “theft” when turning it over?

Hi guys I have a 1997 Ford explorer and it was running great and then the other day I went to make a stop turned off the vehicle went back out to start it and it would crank but it wouldn't start up start so I went and bought a fuel relay while it cranked over but then when I went to turn it up again it wouldn't start back up could it be the fuel pump or the sensor or help on anything I do have fuel pressure I got fuel coming out the lines so could it be the fuel pump center if anyone knows please let me know
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You posted in the wrong forum. I'll move it to the correct one for you.

Peter

Possibly check to see if the fuel inertia switch needs to be reset. Passenger side foot area. Has a button on top to reset. Maybe it tripped

2011-08-13_172417_sam_0486.jpg

Peter
Possibly check to see if the fuel inertia switch needs to be reset. Passenger side foot area. Has a button on top to reset. Maybe it tripped

View attachment 424551
I haven't checked that yet but like yesterday it ran fine started up good everything else and then today it was back to cranking and no start

View attachment 424551
Oh and plus now when I go to try cranking it over and check engine light blinking real quick and the RPM gauge isn't going up
You’ll need to test the fuel pressure. Most auto stores will rent you the tool.

Any other issues prior? V6? Check engine light? No fast flashing “theft” when turning it over?
Check engine light just started flashing fast but no theft when I'm turning it over

I’ve never heard of a check engine flashing, other when the vehicle is running, which would denote an extreme miss.

The tachometer / "RPM gauge" will not go up until the engine is running..
Have someone crank engine while you're near gas filler tube/ gas tank listening for the fuel pump humming....(it could be sporadic functioning). if no humming your crank sensor is likely on the brink....see number 6 here >>> How to: - Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

Yes! Have a helper turn the key for you
Remove the gas cap and put your ear near the filler neck
Each time the key is turned you should hear a fuel pump prime. It should sound healthy and strong, no squeaks or screeching.
If you hear it then you need to check fuel pressure at the rail, should be 38-42 psi or so

If you do hear it and you have adequate fuel pressure then it is time to check for spark, it could easily be the crank sensor as mentioned above

I think on her 'return system' (97) 30 psi is a good enough reading....
And from StreetRod's checklist he's seemingly implying our Explorers system will drop power from the fuel pump if the crank sensor is going out / out ...yes ?
410, You have more automotive knowledge / expertise in your fingernail then I have in my entire brain so not to step on toes here...

Psi is low!! Yes it will run but it is on the low side and it may not be able to provide enough fuel under load
I prefer to see 34-38 psi, but that is using my gauge in my shop
The basic check is to see if you have pressure, this means the fuel pump is turning on and at least pressurizing the rail. That rules out inertia switch, pcm, fuse, relay and wiring issues right there
Next basic check is for spark
Don’t zap yourself the coil pack makes a big spark abs whamo one you will not soon forget! I have been sparked a time or two hhahaha
I have a simple spark checker goes between the spark plug and wire with a noid
Light

...Don’t zap yourself the coil pack makes a big spark abs whamo one you will not soon forget! I have been sparked a time or two hhahaha
It's good to still be able to laugh. One time, my heart felt like it restarted after the shock. And I was being careful! It's amazing how far that spark can jump.

Peter

Psi is low!! Yes it will run but it is on the low side and it may not be able to provide enough fuel under load
I prefer to see 34-38 psi, but that is using my gauge in my shop
The basic check is to see if you have pressure, this means the fuel pump is turning on and at least pressurizing the rail. That rules out inertia switch, pcm, fuse, relay and wiring issues right there
Next basic check is for spark
Don’t zap yourself the coil pack makes a big spark abs whamo one you will not soon forget! I have been sparked a time or two hhahaha
I have a simple spark checker goes between the spark plug and wire with a noid
Light
I have fuel pressure now bad filter but had no spark so have a coil pack and wires and spark plugs coming hopefully that'll do the trick

I have fuel pressure now bad filter but had no spark so have a coil pack and wires and spark plugs coming hopefully that'll do the trick
And no codes on the code readers

I would check the crank sensor before I bought new coil wires etc

Flashing cel usually indicates large misfire in the ignition
On these trucks the crank sensor is known to cause a no spark issue

Well even though I did need to call wires and everything and the plugs because I did have the cracked one it seems like I'm still going to have to replace the crankshaft positioner sensor ain't that a bummer it ran good for two days after I did the wires and stuff and then today there he goes again so hopefully tomorrow I can get it running again wish me luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..."if no humming your crank sensor is likely on the brink....."

It's an easy job overall....one bolt from what I recall ......but have to do from bottom of vehicle. If you have the 4.0 ohv ("EFI") engine you need to loosen and partially slide off the serpentine belt at harmonic balancer there near bottom of engine to get ratchet in there to remove...might be helpful on other other 2 engines as well...

Back