hello all mindi here i have a modified 2006 explorer v8 4.6 automatic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hello all mindi here i have a modified 2006 explorer v8 4.6 automatic

mindi

Reaction score
City, State
eugene,oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer
i have replaced alternator 3 times in past 8 months and it went out again this time it still wont charge checked fuses ,tested all wires going in and out,has a new battery,replaced pigtail clip this is my 3rd alternator in last week ,all with same result no charge ! plz help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

welcome to EF! Glad to have you here! are you buying new used or rebuilt alts? just curious!

Lots of cheaper alternators are junk. Are the bad ones testing as bad when you return them?

also, are you running increased load on them alts? such as extra subs, lighting, winch etc?

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer edition with the 4.6L V8 engine. I discovered a problem, thanks to a couple people on this forum, that I'd be willing to bet others are having or are going to have. Especially if you have an 02-05 Explorer with the V8 engine!

Recently, my A/C stopped working. I noticed that the clutch wasn't engaging on the compressor. I checked the coolant and noticed that it was still full. I checked all of the fuses and relays related to A/C. All were fine. I jumped the low pressure switch and still, nothing. Finally, after asking on this forum, somebody messaged me about a wire harness on the 4.6 that runs underneath the oil pan. This harness runs right under the aft side of the oil filter. If you look up right in front of the front differential, you can see where it is rubbing on the drip tray for the oil filter. Sure enough, it had chaffed all the way through the plastic shielding around the wires and had cut through the wire going to my A/C clutch. It was cutting through the wire going to my starter as well. Check it out. I'll bet anybody with the 4.6L is having the same problem. Mine only has 65,000 miles on it.

View attachment 231127

View attachment 231128

There is no way you can really get in there to work on it, so, you'll have to disconnect it in a few places and pull it out through the left wheel well. You'll have to disconnect it from the A/C clutch. The best way is to get at it through the right wheel well. I didn't need to remove the wheel for this. You'll have to disconnect it from the starter. Best way is from underneath, obviously. Make sure you disconnect the battery first!!!! There is a metal bracket that comes next. I found it easier to just bend the metal that was holding the wire harness, than it was to take the nut out holding the bracket in. There is another bracket like it closer to the drivers side. Just bend that too. Then, there is a small wire coming out of the harness, that goes to some sort of sensor for the engine coolant. You'll need to disconnect that one as well. It's a PITA. After that, you can remove the front, left wheel and pull the wire harness out. You can see how it cut right through my compressor wire. The rubber shielding was the only thing holding it together.

View attachment 231129

View attachment 231130

I'd guess that you all have this problem if you have the 4.6L. Crawl under there and check it out. If yours hasn't cut through yet, you might be able to stick something in there and stop it.
From earlier sub forum, but it does mention starter wire being chaffed which could cause a short circuit

hmm... in other rigs (my stock one lasted 320k) i havent had good luck w rebuilt alts. where did you get em? the duralast ones imo have been like dura-lasting-warranty claims!!! they just wouldnt last, went to a new remy one, havent looked back since! also, do try maybe getting a stock alt (imo i like the remy and motorcraft best) and rebuilding it, @donalds knows all about em!!! :D :D :D

rebuilt they cant be that bad can they this is nuts.i also changed serp belt,cleaned cables,posts ect.

ill be honest, could have just been bad luck for me!! however a search brought this up. not too sure though, you have to have gotten a good one... New Alternator Has Bad Brushes?

hmm... in other rigs (my stock one lasted 320k) i havent had good luck w rebuilt alts. where did you get em? the duralast ones imo have been like dura-lasting-warranty claims!!! they just wouldnt last, went to a new remy one, havent looked back since! also, do try maybe getting a stock alt (imo i like the remy and motorcraft best) and rebuilding it, @donalds knows all about em!!! :D :D :Do'reilys auto

supposedly life time lol. ill try a stock or remy thnx for answering appreciate it. starting to think my computer is messed up there really isnt much to the charging system. any input is worth trying before attempting a new computer install, tring to fix it myself not used to newer motors.give me a old school 327 or 350 easy but computers on motors im clueless

nto too sure, hopefully someone can suggest a test to see if it really is thr alt or not! for all i know the alt may be good, does it test good?

Your alternator to be checked with alternator verification stand.

You can try WAI or ACDelco brand new alternator.dont use remans ever,they are possibly all junk.

V8 alternators has their own charging regulator inside,the PCM has nothing to do with charging control.

The PCM looking for the charging indication only for the Instrument cluster warning light (indicator wire goes to the PCM main connector ) by the way,there is no charge at all,i mean no even 12.6 volts?

nto too sure, hopefully someone can suggest a test to see if it really is thr alt or not! for all i know the alt may be good, does it test good?
power going in no power going out.tried bypassing computer to see if it would charge nothing.read up on things and tried most still nothing.seems like ive tore into the thing 15 times and nothing works.wondering if my regulator is blowing when i try starting it.seems to me something is making them go out the first time i changed it it lasted four or five months,second time only
Your alternator to be checked with alternator verification stand.

You can try WAI or ACDelco brand new alternator.dont use remans ever,they are possibly all junk.

V8 alternators has their own charging regulator inside,the PCM has nothing to do with charging control.

The PCM looking for the charging indication only for the Instrument cluster warning light (indicator wire goes to the PCM main connector ) by the way,there is no charge at all,i mean no even 12.6 volts?
going into alt has a 12v going out nothing

power going in no power going out.tried bypassing computer to see if it would charge nothing.read up on things and tried most still nothing.seems like ive tore into the thing 15 times and nothing works.wondering if my regulator is blowing when i try starting it.seems to me something is making them go out the first time i changed it it lasted four or five months,second time only

going into alt has a 12v going out nothing
sorry my phone died before i finished my reply to fix4 dirt.

sorry my phone died before i finished my reply to fix4 dirt.
When you take them back are they testing them? Make them test any new ones before you leave.

Back