Hello All. Trouble starting in the morning. Any help would be much appreciated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello All. Trouble starting in the morning. Any help would be much appreciated

Lawrence 514

Reaction score
City, State
Champlain, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer, Limited
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2013 Limited. For the past few months, I have had a miserable time starting the car - first start in the morning (about 95% of the time). I'll have to try starting it from a few times to up to 20 times. If I leave it cranking it never starts. I have to stop it and start cranking again. Once it starts, it runs and starts perfectly all day, even after sitting at work for 7-8 hours. Of course when I brought it to my mechanic and finally to Ford, the car started perfectly, even when leaving it there overnight beforehand. This is occurring during the summer (upstate NY) - I don't see that the outdoor temperature has anything to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do I check the fuel rail pressure?

Thanks a lot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Lawrence.:wave:
I've been trying to find the fuel filter for your vehicle without much luck. There is no fuel filter shown in the AutoNation Ford parts site and when I searched another site for the fuel filter, it came back and said it did not apply to your vehicle. Also did not have any luck on the Ford Parts website. I know the fuel pump is on top of the gas tank.
No idea on checking the rail pressure. Perhaps another member may be of more help there. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Lawrence.:wave:
I've been trying to find the fuel filter for your vehicle without much luck. There is no fuel filter shown in the AutoNation Ford parts site and when I searched another site for the fuel filter, it came back and said it did not apply to your vehicle. Also did not have any luck on the Ford Parts website. I know the fuel pump is on top of the gas tank.
No idea on checking the rail pressure. Perhaps another member may be of more help there. Good luck.

Peter
Thanks for your help! My mechanic finally found the problem. The fuel pump relay wasn't getting the signal to activate. Somehow the computer isn't always sending the signal. He hooked up a wire which can manually trip the relay if I have problems. Unfortunately, I'll have to go back to my local Ford dealership in Quebec eventually to properly solve the problem. They are pretty useless. I've had a lot better luck at the dealership in Plattsburgh NY.

Welcome to this forum! Check the vacuum lines for cracks, clean the MAF sensor, replace the fuel filter, and check the condition of the spark plugs. Do you have a check engine light with codes?
Thanks a lot for your help, BrooklynBay. I think I found the problem - I wrote on this in a reply to 'Peter' in this thread. Have a great day!

Back