• Register Today It's free!

Hello and a question.

Sonofamitch

Reaction score
City, State
New york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Hello! Ive been a frequent lurker of old threads sifting through different guides and fixes for various problems. Ive finally decided to make an account so that I have more accessability and options on this platform.

However, my 04 explorer has been having a strange issue that, thus far, I have heard of no one else having anywhere, from this forum to other websites. My interior lights are no longer turning on when any door is opened or when the light dial is turned all the way up. All interior lights still turn on when the button for that housing/bulb is pressed. I have tried the fixes for the door ajar that usually apply to most light/ajar issues. They hadn't worked to bring the lights back on. Just today I tried the paper clip test for the door ajar switch and that still worked for the door ajar light, but not for the interior lights. I have also checked all fuses I can find that even come close to relating to any type of lighting and all still carry an ohm reading which means they all have been good so far. I have also now replaced the door latch itself, as it had been acting up for awhile and not latching or sending the signal to turn off the door ajar light.

I have thought maybe a fuse plugin spot could have been coroded a bit or maybe blocked by something but I havent looked or tried that yet, nor have I traced any wires under the headliner/up the pillars leading to the lights themselves.

(A little context to when the lights stopped working 8 months ago, they had flickered for about
2 weeks, and then cut out all together one day and havent turned on all together since)

Did you replace the center light bulb? The light that comes on when you open the door is the center one and the light bulbs with the switch are different one's (they are stronger and on the side).

Did you replace the center light bulb? The light that comes on when you open the door is the center one and the light bulbs with the switch are different one's (they are stronger and on the side).

I had not checked that yet, i had upgraded to LED's for the interior so I replaced everything, but i never checked if that bulb was good, I will go do that quick on break and see if that does anything!

Update 04's do not have a central light in the map light housing, only the 2 lights controlled by the buttons.

Attachments

• 15912099792874269793646812314871.jpg
    15912099792874269793646812314871.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 78

Back