Hello Another 5R55W conundrum. Any trans gurus? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello Another 5R55W conundrum. Any trans gurus?

Reaction score
City, State
Castlewood,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
03FordExplorer Centennial
Picked up a nice 03 v8 centennial the other day 2wd v8 great shape 163k miles. Go look at it has trans issues. Got a good deal so bought it. Anyhow get it back home clear the codes take a drive uphill will get you a p0731-734 incorrect ratio codes but when it shift's feels good doesnt slip holds tight. On level it does good unless you lay into it. The turbine speed sensor is 400rpm lower than rpm at idle and with motor at 3500 in 1st the turbine is about 1800 that's when it will bang in second gear hard but no slips. I'm thinking possible torque converter because it already has a rattle. Any insight is greatly appreciated. No noises and pan was clean and hasn't been messed with since problems started.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My thought is that is has worn servo bores.

Thought about that also got the servos and shift kit on the way. But would servo bores give a p0731 code also?

No not really, just my first thought is with the servo bores, its hard to tell by your description just how the vehicle drives and what problems it has. Gear ratio codes that include first gear with out a noticeable slip can be tricky. I have seen problems with the overdrive planet cause those codes, we had one were the race broke off the planet and set gear ratio codes.
Are these the only two codes it will set?

My bad it sets codes p0731, 732, 733, 734 haven't had it out on the highway to go into overdrive. What should my turbine speed sensor read at idle? It's reading about 400 while motor is at idle seems low. I also hear a sort of noise until I go into control pressure control b
I have a maximus 2.0 scanner just never had a trans do this as in set codes but you can't feel it slip haha

Yeah that's what I was thought, I bet the overdrive planet has a broken sprag race, it will set all gear ratio codes when this happens.

I am not sure of the turbine sensor readings for this transmission, if I had one in the shop right now I would test it for you.

So in other words my best bet would be to tear it down instead of just put the servo fix in? The overdrive sprag is first one behind pump right? Supposed to only turn counterclockwise right?

Side note there wasn't metal or clutch material in pan or on speed sensors. Very minimal clutch material on magnet. Fluid slight burnt smell.

So in other words my best bet would be to tear it down instead of just put the servo fix in? The overdrive sprag is first one behind pump right? Supposed to only turn counterclockwise right?

I dont believe the servos are causing your ratio codes, however if you take this transmission out you may want to consider having the case sleeved, this would mean a full tear down but it might be worth it because worn bores can create problems.

Here is the order of parts behind the pump and rotation, sometimes when parts fail they dont always make a lot debris. Like if the race has broken off the planet it is a clean break with no debris.

5r55w overdrive stack.JPG

5r55w overdrive sprag.JPG

Guess we will see what it holds. I'm going to pUT the pins in anyway see what happens. I cut the intermediate servo for o-ring last night going to cut the od today. If that doesn't help then I'll just pull it. I have a hard time understanding how the pcm says it is slipping but you cannot feel any slip...

OK jk080 got it out and apart and it broke the back hAlf off the carrier assembly what would cause this and would it be OK to put new one back in? I just wondered what would cause it to break.

I don't know how to post a picture or I would

I haven't heard of a cause for that failure, I just think it's a failed part, I don't see it very often so I think you will fine with just replacing the part.

Glad you found it!

OK I just wanted to be sure was OK to go ahead and put back together. Thanks for your help clutches and bands look good I'll probably put new bands anyhow just to be on safe side

I meant to say back hub of the carrier that goes into the sprag. Sprag is good but that part stayed in the spray when I pulled it out.

You have the same thread going in the transmission section?

You have the same thread going in the transmission section?

Put it in the gen specific then seen transmission section and put it up here delete the one on gen specific if you like. Just wanted to let you know progress

Apparently after much research found some info on the mustangs that repeat overdrive planet failure is due to malfunctioning thermal bypass causing lack of oil flow and cooling to the planet. Thanks for the help guys

Back