Hello, Back again, need help with 2001 sport trac Trans problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, Back again, need help with 2001 sport trac Trans problem

Schaeff58

Reaction score
City, State
md
Year, Model & Trim Level
none yet
Hello All!
I am back again with the same sport trac from this thread Found Parts in oil pan...timing chain guide?

Everyone was very helpful with that project to be sure! The owner called me today, said she had a hard time getting it out of park (I am thinking it is not related as her driveway is very steep) then she drove it to get gas. On the way it was fine until she got almost to the pump and it would not respond to increased throttle and just basically crawled if it moved at all. She got gas and headed on to the store she said....It was ok at first then did the same thing, the car never got up to speed and only crawled along. She was calling me and telling me she was headed to walmart and I said I would be right up. Had her other car in the garage, I was done with it, so my wife and I went up to give her her van and maybe drive the sport trac home.

Well the truck will not move. No lights on dash. truck starts and runs fine. Fluid is at the perfect level and not burnt or burnt etc, at least not to me. I looked for wire issues under it, linkage etc, and for a quick check all looked ok. I tried to drive it several times, but it would not move much, only slightly.

I read about this worn servo bore on these transmissions. The symptoms listed here Symptoms & Solution are similar but not exactly the same... BUT... I have not been driving this vehicle, so it could have other symptoms that I have not been told about...

So I am wondering if this thing is toast, and it needs a trans. If that is the case do I suggest that to her? I have looked for vehicles like this of the same year and they are out there from 1500 to 5000 bucks. Have not tried a junk yard yet for the trans, which I think it the 5r55? type... Could it be the servo bore is the problem?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and or ideas, or other things to look for to attempt to fix this.

The truck still looks good... and runs great... I think it has 200k on it... I thought it was more but she said 200 so...

Schaeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happy Presidents day!
Have been doing some more reading here and it seems that what ever is wrong with this vehicle is not a simple repair... at this mileage Im pretty sure its a rebuild, or a new/different trans. May have a lead on one... but I am still open to suggestions etc.. thanks for reading...

Schaeff

Looks like we are going to put a transmission in this truck. I think I found one at a local parts yard for 500 bucks... So maybe you all can help me with this question: What should I do to this "new" trans prior to installation. And is there any special tricks someone can impart to me to speed things up? I have a scissors lift, that I think I can do this on.... gonna be tricky but I am going to try...

Thanks for any thoughts

Schaeff

Ok cant believe I am even thinking this.... I am thinking about rebuilding this trans myself... Have read a good deal, not all but some about how to do this. A lot of the threads are old and the pics wont come up or the links are broken etc... so I am still not sure... have found a couple of these trans locally, but they are $500 or more and have as many miles almost as the one I am taking out... not sure the longevity of that. So is it worth trying to do this my self? Or am I money ahead buying a rebuild one and new torque converter?

Thanks...

Thanks donalds, Looks like a great link, with lots of info... just what I need to help me decide if I can do this... will keep ya posted.

Hey Donolds, those were helpful videos.... The valve body one was very good, sorta demystified that part for me. Still lots of parts in the gears, clutches, et al.... I have time, the truck is sitting in the yard and they are in no hurry. I saw on video that the guy took the trans apart and was saying he was pretty sure it was the torque converter. Could that cause a no move situation? What happens in there that they dont work any more... clogged up? I mean its just a bunch of fins in there right?

Back