• Register Today It's free!

Hello From Gilbert, AZ!!!!

longboss351

Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ranger STX
Hi guys, Chris from AZ. I am a Ford person, mostly Mustang, Maverick, Pinto,Fairlane and Cougar! I also have a 1988 Ranger STX that I have put Explorer difs front and rear, 3.73 gears and Electric lockers front and rear.Rear disc axle.
Now,,,, I am ready for the 1998 Explorer 5.0 swap, 4R70W trans,Strong box underdrive box and a NP205 transfer case. It is all ready to set in,,,, But I am wondering if anyone would have a wiring diagram for the Main harness plug that went through the firewall. The pins and what they do? I have been told there are only a few I would need to power the motor and run.. Any help would be great!!
Thanks for your time,
Chris AZ

Major swap alert! :thumbsup:

Ok, for the bulkhead connector you can use your 88' ranger wiring diagram to map out the color code for all wires that pass through.

The engine harness and the body harness are independent of one another. With very few exceptions.

For example: the brake light interrupt for the cruise control would need to be fed to the new PCM, (if you intend to keep it) and that wire would pass through the firewall at the bulkhead connector.

But all your engine management/transmission wiring would be under hood only. (another exception: Overdrive selector button) this to will need to go through the fire wall.

Then label the one's you will need to power your dash components, head lights, ignition power, start, etc.

So if you use the 98' 5.0 Power distribution Box and the 98' wiring diagram, it will just be a matter of going one circuit at a time until the "Body" portion is fully functional. Brake lights, turns, a/c controls, head lamps, blower motor, wipers. yata yata.

Then tackle power for PCM, Which would just be ignition "on"

Then mock up the engine harness. any wires coming from the PCM that do not terminate with a plug (and there won't be many) can then be sorted out, (power, ground, other inputs like the cruise interrupt, WOT a/c clutch interrupt, etc.

Last the charging system, best done once the motor is set in.

Bottom line: Get out some paper and start drawing a custom wire diagram, taking it one detail at a time.

1998 EXP Motor swap

Hey, thanks for the help and advice! Just so you know this Ranger is a running driving truck with the V6 auto in it. The doner 5.0 was a running driving motor, I got all the eng and trans harness. It is setting on the floor with 1 square plug next to the computer, that is the plug I am needing the wire diagram for, what the pins go to. All my lights, dash, work in the truck. My V6 has a seperate eng harness that will come out with the eng. And the 5.0 has it own also. If anyone knows the pin# what each one goes to please post the it for me.
Thanks, Chris

Back