Hello From Richmond,Va | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I change my transmission fluid if I don’t have any maintenance history from the past 240k?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It’s not that simple!?!?!?!

• ^if not that simple please leave me a comment

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dsimm321

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer NBX
Hello All,
I recently pitched a 03 Ford Explorer NBX.
I’m trying to fix it up as it maybe.
I pitched it with about 240k miles and now I’m trying to do some flushing (radiator and Transmission??”Maybe”)
Any feed back or helpful hint or trick would be great. I’m trying to do everything my self. I have always want to but never had the experience or the time. But with you all and google by my side what could go wrong.
Thanks again for your time.

Hi All, I'm new here, too, and working on getting a '96 Eddie Bauer road ready after sitting a while. I picked it up at an estate sale, with just over 233K on it. First problem was something in the brakes. I replaced the master cylinder, booster, front rotors and all four calipers and pads. Fixed the only real problem I knew it had. Then, because it had so many miles, and since it didn't really look as if much maintenance had been done, I drained and refilled the front and rear differentials, the transfer case (using the proper lubricants....don't ignore the friction modifiers for the limited slip front diff.). Drained the tranny and replaced the filter. Noted that the fluid was black but didn't smell burned, I suspected the carbon disc inside had been giving off dust for some time. So I hooked up a hose to the transmission cooler return line (other end in a bucket I could watch) at the radiator and flushed the transmission by pouring fresh fluid in at about the same rate it came out. Judging by the old fluids I drained out of each place, I think it was a very worthwhile project. A first test drive, yesterday shows everything working as it should.... Now it's on to the suspension....

Back