Hello From the Great White North (AKA Canada ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello From the Great White North (AKA Canada )

dosman

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sporttrac Pioneer Ed
Hi All, joined the forum for some advice on installing after market stereo in 2002 Ford Explorer Sport trac....:yelexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G'day and welcome.

welcome

Hello,
This is from a CANUCK who just experienced the death of his 1998 Ford Explorer with the famous 4 L SOHC. At 161,000 KM (96,600 MILES for our US friend) the number 1, 2, and 3 cylinders had no compression. It was due to the breakdown of the plastic tensioner on the timing chain that basically requires the engine having to be taken out and rebuilt. Ford Dealer estimated cost...$7,000.
I elected to not spend that kind of money on a '98 and so I bought a brand new 2011 Ranger with a 4 L. Hope I have better luck with this supposedly new design engine. Does anyone know if I can expect to have the same problems in the years to come. I would appreciate any comments on this subject.
Also how many other past Ford Explorer owners are there out there that have had the same problem that I experienced!!!!!!?????

Hi whistlewing, sorry to hear about your 98 explorer. That's not many miles for a 98. sucks that they used plastic on an important internal part.
The cost of maintaining a vehicle is getting out of hand. When a repair cost more than the vehicle. We had an 2008 Chevy Equinox at work that wouldn't start, so we boosted it and drove it to the dealership. they replaced the alternator and did some other fluid changes and the bill came to 2500.
the alternator alone was 900 beans. I didn't look at the bill that close because I didn't have to pay it, but it was the talk around work how much the repair bill was. They get you coming and they get you going....:thumbdwn:

Fix it yourself

Thanks for your reply Dosman. Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your dealership. Why is it that they all have to charge so much for doing so little. One problem is this estimate book that they have that tells them how many hours they should charge for doing a particular job. But if the book says it is a 4 hour job and they do it in 1 1/2 hours, they wind up charging you for 4 hours. Does the a Government, that cares about protecting our interests really care about these unfair practices.....NOT. At least the taxes charged on the overcharge for parts and labour is also inflated. Now figure that reasoning!!!!:thumbdwn:
That is exactly why alot of guys and some girls take on the job of fixing a problem on their vehicle and save a pile of money. I just feel sorry for those that can't replace a wiper blade or change a bulb on their own. There is so much information on the internet about how to fix your vehicles. The ultimate satisfaction of doing it yourself is that you don't feel that you've got screwed by another dealership!
Chow for now.:feedback:

Back