Hello, have a 97 5.0 2wd and would like to make it 4x4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, have a 97 5.0 2wd and would like to make it 4x4

That sounds right, and the price is close, Motive is a good company. I have the small brown box out in my garage in my 99 somewhere. If the application info is correct and says for an 8.8, that should work for all 8.8's.
LOL that part is 1 kit per unit for 89.99
If you find the box please shoot over the part number. Here is a pic of two wheel kit
Screenshot (9).png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the wheel bearing kit and the differential repair kit the same parts?

The rebuild kits for the diff, are different than for the wheel bearings or LS clutches. You don't need everything and I don't think there's ever been a kit that had it all. the 8.8 is very stout and reliable, when the gear oil has been changed once in a blue moon. When left untouched for 150k miles, or cheap gear oil is used, that's when the oil breaks down, and fails to protect the diff, and axle bearings.

If things are kept up okay, all the 8.8 needs is the axles bearings and seals, those are the weakest links. I do those for every Ford I buy, which is always high mileage for me. The LS clutches last a good year to 10 depending on who's driving and the roads they travel. Figure at this age they all need it now. R&Ring the LS preload spring is the hardest part, have a big chunk of wood(4x4" etc) and a baby sledge, to knock it back in. A simple hammer won't do it alone, the wood absorbs the big impact and spreads it evenly upon the oddly shaped spring, and keeps it from bouncing back out.

LOL that part is 1 kit per unit for 89.99
If you find the box please shoot over the part number. Here is a pic of two wheel kitView attachment 323239

I'll hunt it down and let you know which it is. I looked it over and it is for both sides, they aren't complicated parts to work with either. You pay close attention to the arrangement of the old gears and clutches, spacers etc, as you take them out. Matching the order results in the original three clutches per side, all kits work for that. If the clutches used are thicknesses which will work in the available space, an extra clutch pair(friction/steel) will fit. You won't know that until you try to put them in that way. The one time I did it, I had a very tight fit to put the c-clips back in,a little gap on one side, and virtually nothing on the other. I changed the gear oil again after about a year, and the axle side to side play was good, oil was fine. So that really tight fit is okay, if the c-clip wouldn't go in readily, I'd not use that specific set of clutch parts(change the order of spacer, use a used clutch etc).

These vehicles are not especially rare or expensive. It makes the most sense to sell the 5.0 RWD (which is the most desirable configuration to many people) and buy a 4L w/4x4 or 5L w/AWD.

These vehicles are not especially rare or expensive. It makes the most sense to sell the 5.0 RWD (which is the most desirable configuration to many people) and buy a 4L w/4x4 or 5L w/AWD.
It is all for sale until what sells first. Keeping one though or buying another. but used vehicle prices are crazy right now.

Things do change all of the time. Used prices went down to great levels a few years ago, but there are less available now, and it's dropping constantly, so prices will go up for better examples.

The real question in that thought is, what is the market like where you are? In some places like up north almost all vehicles you find will be rust covered, plus very expensive. In many places down south what you find will be rust free, but then how many are there in those areas? Some places will have few choices, which means they are expensive, but some rare places still have a good supply, and prices are low.

Things do change all of the time. Used prices went down to great levels a few years ago, but there are less available now, and it's dropping constantly, so prices will go up for better examples.

The real question in that thought is, what is the market like where you are? In some places like up north almost all vehicles you find will be rust covered, plus very expensive. In many places down south what you find will be rust free, but then how many are there in those areas? Some places will have few choices, which means they are expensive, but some rare places still have a good supply, and prices are low.
Around here it's patience until you find the right buyer.

Thanks for all the input. I will probably keep both :) Going to go to the dmv tomorrow and see how much to pno (plan non operation). if it's less than 200 then it's a go. just bought some more tools and would like to finally be able to have a project I can work on and another car that just works.

gotta love HF
The multi tool is a winner, those suckers will cut through just about anything. I mostly use the dewalt cordless these days but the plug in HF units are tough as nails. The extendable 1/4 - 3/8" ratchet is one of my go to tools, I have two of them in my box at all times. The new Icon ratchets are pretty dang good, I like that swivel head unit.
Good news is a new HF is opening up much closer to me, opening date is set as TOMORROW!!!!!!
Right now HF is 90 miles away, soon it will be 12 :)

I bought a 95 4.0 4x4 like a week after this post

Back