• Register Today It's free!

Hello help please!

Jesse87

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer 4.0 v6
Hi I am working on a 04 explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 v6. Hold your laughs I know it's a HORRIBLE engine! I already pulled it twice. I went through the timing and replaced the broken key which I think was the problem to begin with. As some of you probably know there's only 1/8 of it that holds the gears and if that breaks the whole engine is out of commission. The second time I put the engine in I got it all wired up and ready to go. When I was cranking it over I heard click click click tried it again and it stoped. I thought oh crap I think that brand new key just sheared off. What do I do? The body and interior is almost perfect and it's a shame to part out or scrap it but i think that's my only option besides pushing it off a cliff whould be fun though. I really don't wanna pull the engine again but don't wanna give up either. Should I buy a long block, a good 4.0 or how much would I have to change to do a v8 swap. The other idea I had is can I have that key slot in the crank cut back further so the key slides back under the gears and holds them better? What are my options? I appreciate any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you like the car, buy another engine and put it in.

Ya I could but wondering if it's worth it

Well; a crate engine can be bought for ~3K. Figure in ancillary parts/supplies to install it; ~$3500 all in.

Value of your car with a blown engine is maybe $2k. So if you got $2K out of your car and you don't spend ~$3500 on a new engine, your actual+opportunity value of that transaction is ~$5500

Can you get another car like what you have - that you positively know the mechanical history of - for ~$5500? Probably not.

If I were you, I would methodically run down the problem and fix it. If that means pull the engine again, than do it.

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. I actually bought this vehicle to flip and I thought if it fired right up I would make decent money. If I would have known the 4.0s are a piece of crap I would have got a v8. What I've heard is chevy tried the variable timing thing and no one like those either.

If you're just trying to flip this car anyway, it's worth a lot more as parts (esp. the interior) than it will net after you replace the engine.

Back