Hello, I am having some strange problems with my 2005 explorer, eddie bauer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, I am having some strange problems with my 2005 explorer, eddie bauer.

shadester200

Reaction score
City, State
baltimore, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
One day after work last week, my explorer had what seemed to be a dead battery for no apparent reason. A quick jump got it running, but now I am noticing all these strange things that are happening. My automatic headlight function no longer works, the headlight and dash lights only come on in manual mode. The message center and automatic seat adjustment need to be reset every time I start the car. The radio keeps making mechanical noises like it's trying to load a cd (its a 6 cd player) and tells me there are no cds in it (when there are 6). Turning it off and on fixes that. Sometimes when the car starts, all the gauges seem to bounce around (fluttering) for a few seconds until they finally rest where they are supposed to be The car has started for me every time since then, but the motor doesn't seem to turn over with its former strength. More things are probably happening that I'm not aware of. My code reader shows no error codes. It is hard for me to believe that all these things went bad at the same time. Could it be the computer going bad? Where do I begin to troubleshoot this. Any help is appreciated. shadester

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome! someone on here can help i am sure, though this isnt my forte. when you had your reader in, did you do any tests? to you have a volt meter?

The 3rd gen Ex's are battery sensitive. You need to know your batteries state of charge and the condition of your charging system. Most parts stores can do this for you with everything in the car.
NAPA did this for me recently, with a hand held device. You'll need to run the car during the test.

The alternator is not designed to charge an drained battery.

The 3rd gen Ex's are battery sensitive. You need to know your batteries state of charge and the condition of your charging system. Most parts stores can do this for you with everything in the car.
NAPA did this for me recently, with a hand held device. You'll need to run the car during the test.

The alternator is not designed to charge an drained battery.

Number4 you hit the nail on the head!!! I finally had a chance to look further into this and using my hydrometer I found 1 cell completely dead with the battery having 9.9 vdc output! I didn't think that would be enough to start my truck, but it did(barely). I installed a new battery and like magic everyone of my problems just disappeared as quickly as they arrived. Thanks again for your help. shadester

Nothing like a simple fix to brighten ones day.
Glad everything worked out.

Good deal, thanks for reporting back as well. Always nice to know the solutions and findings.

Back