Hello! I am in need of advice.

Thunder Bunny

Reaction score
City, State
Woodruff
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Honda Odyssey EX
Hi all,
I am new here and looking for some advice. I am in need of another vehicle and am very interested in purchasing an Explorer. Whatever I end up purchasing, I need it to be very reliable for my family and I. The years I have been looking at are the 05' to 07' models, with the EB trims being my favorite. So is there any advice you guys can give on these models? Are these models reliable? And are there specific things I should be looking for when inspecting and test driving these vehicles. Something that should be noted is that I am not a mechanic and generally don't do any work on my vehicles. However, I do have some mechanic friends that do work for a much better price than your average shop. Is an Explorer a vehicle I should even consider? Thanks in advance!

If this post needs to be moved to a different section, that is fine. I wasn't exactly sure where to post it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a 2009 or 2010 V8. The reasons are:

• The V8 is more reliable than the V6 and doesn't have the timing chain issues.
  • The V8 doesn't require removal of the engine to replace the chains and guides, if necessary.
  • The V8 has the six speed transmission which is more robust and reliable than the five speeds used in the V6s.
  • The V8 gets the same gas mileage as the V6 and has a good bit more power.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the newer design spark plugs so the chance of breaking them during replacement is lower.
  • The wiring insulation appears to be better and does not deteriorate like it can on the 2006-2008 models.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the beefier 6R80 transmission that has a higher torque rating than the 6R60 transmissions in the 2006-2008 V8 models.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a V6 3rd or 4th gen model unless it had well under 100k miles on it. Even then I would immediately install a pre-oiler to limit the odds of a timing chain/guide failure. Also, the V6s have the five speed transmissions that are almost guaranteed to need a rebuild as the miles rack up over 100k. There are still plenty of V8 models to buy but you have to be patient to snag a good one. My advice is to buy one that hasn't lived in the rust belt. Even if you have to travel to find one. Lastly, a Carfax report will tell you where a vehicle has spent the majority of its life and give you some info on maintenance history and might indicate collision damage.

Get a 2009 or 2010 V8. The reasons are:

• The V8 is more reliable than the V6 and doesn't have the timing chain issues.
  • The V8 doesn't require removal of the engine to replace the chains and guides, if necessary.
  • The V8 has the six speed transmission which is more robust and reliable than the five speeds used in the V6s.
  • The V8 gets the same gas mileage as the V6 and has a good bit more power.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the newer design spark plugs so the chance of breaking them during replacement is lower.
  • The wiring insulation appears to be better and does not deteriorate like it can on the 2006-2008 models.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the beefier 6R80 transmission that has a higher torque rating than the 6R60 transmissions in the 2006-2008 V8 models.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a V6 3rd or 4th gen model unless it had well under 100k miles on it. Even then I would immediately install a pre-oiler to limit the odds of a timing chain/guide failure. Also, the V6s have the five speed transmissions that are almost guaranteed to need a rebuild as the miles rack up over 100k. There are still plenty of V8 models to buy but you have to be patient to snag a good one. My advice is to buy one that hasn't lived in the rust belt. Even if you have to travel to find one. Lastly, a Carfax report will tell you where a vehicle has spent the majority of its life and give you some info on maintenance history and might indicate collision damage.

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I do have a couple questions regarding your response.

- When you say that the V8 is more reliable and doesn't have the timing chain issues, is that just for the 4th gen or is that the 3rd gen as well?
- When you say the V8 is more robust and reliable, is this also for 3rd gen or just 4th gen?

Both v8's are good, the 2 valve and 3 valve. Both have issues like every car. The 02-05 v8 still came with the problematic 5 speed and I'd avoid those.
The 3rd gen v8 spit the plugs out of the heads, I just fixed one for a friend. The 06-08 v8 keep the plugs and they break so you need to be ready to turn some wrenches either way. Follow what 94Eddie said above.

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I do have a couple questions regarding your response.

- When you say that the V8 is more reliable and doesn't have the timing chain issues, is that just for the 4th gen or is that the 3rd gen as well?
- When you say the V8 is more robust and reliable, is this also for 3rd gen or just 4th gen?

The 3rd gen V8s are a little more reliable being a somewhat simpler design with two valves and no adjustable timing. I would still opt for the 4th gen V8 due to its better MPG numbers while making more power. As for being robust, I was referring to the transmissions the 4th gen V8s only. The six speed transmissions mated to the 4th gen V8s are more reliable and robust the the five speed transmissions. The six speed transmissions in the 2009 and 2010 V8 models are upgraded versions as compared the six speed transmissions in the V8 2006-2008 models.

I'd say that most of the 3v (4.6 V8) will have had the plugs changed by now...the youngest ones are close to 11 years old now.

Unless the maintenance was never performed, and I'd probably pass those by...odds are they'll need more than juts plugs..

I've got an '06 V8 EB, had to put new coils in it, and a temp sensor, other than that it runs good. I'd Like to replace it with a '10 next year, simply because mine is getting a little rocker rust.

As stated, try to find one a place where they salt your french fries, not your roads.. LOL

I waited for a year to find the right V8 to replace my 3rd gen V6. at 169K miles, it was only a matter of time before the timing chain went. The biggest issue is that the engine has to be removed to do the rear chain. And I had to do some tranny work on it when I got it. Try to find a V8, preferably an 09-10. And if you do, use 5W30 oil instead of 5W20. That engine has hydraulic adjustable timing, and the adjustable pulleys tend to go bad. The heavier oil, which they use in Canada, will help prevent that. I haven't seen any difference in fuel economy since I switched.

I thought the V-8 only had timing chains on the front and that the V-6 was the motor that required removal to change the rear timing chain.

Good tip on the 5-W30.

You are correct about the chains. That's why I replaced my V6 with a V8.

Back