hello I am new and need help ASAP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hello I am new and need help ASAP

1.3mazda

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
my keys are lost, I have looked everywhere and they havent showed for 2 days now. I have a 92-94 ford explorer eddie baurer edition and I need to replace the ignition lock cylinder. I bought one at autozone for like $15 bucks and i have realized that I need to be able to turn the old ignition lock cylinder ford to the first run position to be able to push to pin to release the cylinder from the housing. What are some ways of removing the cylinder from the housing when you dont have keys or when the cylinder is locked up and your unable to turn forward the lock cylinder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Why not call a locksmith? or even better yet pull a lock from a door, and have them make a key for you?

-mc

well if I call a locksmith than they want money I dont have. I am poor and going through some rough times right now. I dont need anything to do with my door. My doors are unlocked. I just need to replace the igniton lock cylinder without being able to turn it forward.

The ignition and the door key are the same...

YES,well at least from the factory they are, LOL! I dont care about a 2 key dilema, well I can see that I should go to bed and get some sleep since I'll be walking to work and everywhere else tomorrow.

He just means that you could pull the lock out of the door, since you don't have to turn it to remove it, and bring it in to have a key made for it. Since the locks are the same, the new key would also work in the ignition.

^^ thank you for the clarification... I can see that it is late for me also :)
thats what you get for taking too many credit hours...

o i see, yes that does make sense. But the ignition lock cylinder is like $15 and since we are on the topic, I must add, my driver door is ####ed up for the time beings. It doesnt shut without being "tied" shut. I got the vehicle for free like 2 1/2 months ago and i just used a rachet strap to strap the door shut and I climb in through the passenger side. The previous owner said that the door "froze" open one night, and her B/F said he would fix it and ended up wolloing (enlongated) the striker bolt hole (you know the 3 that are on the door that hold the striker in place to mate to the striker bolt on the B pillar), so the striker is loose as a goose and just hangs by the rods inside the door for now. I will have to build some weld beads to close up the bolt holes to reuse the bolt hole locations, and remove the striker and take out the bolt that are still in it. I could provide pics if need be of this redneck rig I have, LOL. But back on topic that is why I dont care about the 1 key deal, because my vehicle actually doesnt even lock up right now.

Sorry to say there is no easy fix for this. First, making a key for the door will not work the ignition. Ford uses the 10 cut keys in which the door has the first 6 and the ignition the last 6 with the 2 center cuts as common (by the way, I'm a locksmith). The way we make the key from the door is to cut a key from the known tumblers in the door, then using a chart from the known 2common cuts we narrow down the rest using a system known as progression, and then cut a series of keys until we find the right one. This can be time consuming and use up key blanks so can end up expensive.

The retaining pin in the lock is hardened to prevent drilling, and trying this can cause even more problems in the long run. The way it is done if door locks are not available is to either pick the ignition, not always easy even for a professional, or to drill the ignition cylinder out. You need to carefully drill the tumblers until you are able to turn the cylinder with a screwdriver allowing you to then push the retainer in. It can be done by a diy'er but be very careful not to damage the housing that the new cylinder needs to slide into.

Good luck.

The retaining pin in the lock is hardened to prevent drilling, and trying this can cause even more problems in the long run. The way it is done if door locks are not available is to either pick the ignition, not always easy even for a professional, or to drill the ignition cylinder out. You need to carefully drill the tumblers until you are able to turn the cylinder with a screwdriver allowing you to then push the retainer in. It can be done by a diy'er but be very careful not to damage the housing that the new cylinder needs to slide into.

What he said.. I have done this before when no key was available to "release" the factory lock cylinder

Back