Hello - I'm excited to be a new member. Have owned my '05 Explr. 4.0 SOHC since 2007. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello - I'm excited to be a new member. Have owned my '05 Explr. 4.0 SOHC since 2007.

JustBill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I have a issue that has me scratching my head BIGTIME. Let me say that I spend 14 years in the tire and auto service business. I was never an engine tech, but I was a mechanic (primarily brakes, front-end and suspension. I have been diligent on maintenance with this vehicle. So here's what's happening:

About a week ago I had a "no-crank", (so NO start) issue. This was the first start attempt in the morning and it did follow a night of our coldest weather of the season...low of about 35 deg. Lights and other accessories worked, but no sound (clicks) at all. I tested the battery, it was basically fully charged..but I charged it for a bit anyway....performed load test and it passed with no issues. Even did back to back load test and it read perfect.

I pulled the starter relay out and swapped it with the blower motor relay as it was identical. Then it started perfectly...popped right off and ran great. Of course I assumed I had found the culprit. The next day, I got a new relay and put it in the empty blower motor spot. And thought all was good, until (after sitting over night again) it did not start, same issue, no clicks. PLEASE NOTE...THIS issue is and does relate to the engine temp, being either cold (no start) or at operating temp...it starts perfect every time! Here's what I mean - I arched power at the starter solenoid and it started ( yes, I thought once again I had found the problem) I left it running for about ten minutes. Then I shut it off and restarted. Perfect START without arching the solenoid. But the engine was warm. The rest of the day, I went and restarted it 10 times! Leaving about 40 minutes between start attempts. Every time is was perfect...but again with a warm engine. The next morning...with cold engine...SAME ISSUE, no crank. I decided to check connections at the solenoid. I removed power & signal wires. They appeared fine. I then put them back on....AND it STARTED!! That's all I did, remove wires and re-connected them. Same deal, started all day with a warm engine. Next morning, no crank. To me it seems apparent that the there is some type of "Re-Set" that is occurring when I disconnect the battery and perhaps even the solenoid wires. If I do this, it starts...and will each time after that IF the engine is warm. But when it sits overnight, I'm back to original NO CRANK issue.
Man I hope some one has gone through this one before!! Thanks in advance and I cannot wait to see thoughts on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

My thought is a bad starter motor. My reasoning is...

1. Your battery is fully charged and has been load tested
2. You indicated your terminals are clean and your cables are good
3. Your lights stay on while trying to start the engine
4. The connections to your starter are tight
5. You've replaced/swapped the starter relay

That doesn't leave much besides the starter or one of its components. If it was the ignition switch it probably wouldn't crank/start at any time.

Just for goof's, next time it wont crank, try placing the shift lever in NEUTRAL and/or holding the lever up while in PARK. This will test/eliminate the neutral safety switch.

I lean towards the starter as well. I have tried the shift to neutral test, no such luck. I'm still stuck on why it starts so perfectly when the engine is warm... not sure how that relates to a bad starter, but maybe...

I lean towards the starter as well. I have tried the shift to neutral test, no such luck. I'm still stuck on why it starts so perfectly when the engine is warm... not sure how that relates to a bad starter, but maybe...

It's an electric motor thing. If when it doesn't start you smack the starter motor with a hammer it would probably wake it up.

I cringe when I hear the wack it with a hammer
It's so bad for the magnet s in there
I'd hate to be the guy that gets that remain
I'd use a rubber mallet
Whacking with a hammer will work tho

I cringe when I hear the wack it with a hammer
It's so bad for the magnet s in there
I'd hate to be the guy that gets that remain
I'd use a rubber mallet
Whacking with a hammer will work tho

If the starter is bad, "whacking" it with a hammer isn't going to hurt it any, and you don't have to hit it all that hard. If the term "whack" bothers you, think "solid tap" instead.

I ment bad when it's rebuilt for the next guy

. If the term "whack" bothers you, think "solid tap" instead.
It don't bother me at all

Seems people have been testy lately on here
I ment nothing by my comment other than any kind of jarring of the magnet s will kill them for the next guy who will get a cheap rebuilt starter that is weak don't you hate getting bad parts

If it is your starter i hope for your sake it's a 2wd doing the 4wd is a pain just did mine a couple weeks ago

Back