• Register Today It's free!

Hello To All

julietaylor

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone, new here to this site, but I need help!!! I have a 92 Explorer XLT, i was driving home doing about 65mph, when the engine cut off, I had power(lights on, radio still on), after about a minute it started right back up, drove for about 10 minutes, got off the highway, stopped at a stop light, truck still running, came to another stop light, made a left, came around a corner made a right. As I was slowing down to make the right, truck stalled out again, restarted, and continued my trek home, slowed down to take on a curve, trucked stalled again, started back up, engine sounded BAD, running very rough, shaking horrible, making loud noise, pulled into to driveway, put in park, truck ran but by the looks and sounds of the engine I thought at any minute it was going to fall out on to the ground because it was shaking so badly. Since this has happened, I have replaced plugs and wires, checked fuel pump(it's fine), all fuses and relays appear to be working, inertia sitch fine, pcv valve fine, new air filter. After all this truck would start and run, sounded great, but then would cut off after about 15 minute in idle, now truck won't start at all, unless i spray starting fluid into air intake, the minute I stop sparying, my truck cuts off, when i am spraying the fluid in and pressing accelorator, engine revs normally, but again the minute i stop spraying, and continue to press accelorator lightly or pedal to the floor, eninge stops. Some one please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it's not getting any fuel. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? You said that you checked the fuel pump, how did you check it? Also, check the codes. That will give a hint of what's going on hopefully.

fuel pump primes the second you turn on ignition, you can hear it when you put ear to the fuel tank. tried yesterday to get fuel filter off i pulled i twisted tried everything to remove it, it won't come off. Also if you remove a spark plug after you have tried to start it you can smell and see gas on the end off it. Don't have equipement to check codes, just playing it by ear for now, hoping i can fix the problem, buying the the equipemnet for codes is last option.

Welcome To The Forum!

buying the the equipemnet for codes is last option.
Are you aware that a paper clip is all that you would need to buy to pull codes? If not, review the stickies in this forum and the EEC-IV sub-forum and give that a try. Some people find it easier to buy a more expensive code reader, but it isn't necessary if you are willing to give this a try.

Whatever the problem is, it sounds electrical.

What is the fuel pressure? Is there gas in the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator (FPR)? It might be getting so much gas that it can't start (but those aren't electrical faults??).

Basically 4 things needed to start:

Air: usually not a problem
Compression: Wouldn't expect this to be a problem, unless you have a sticky valve or something that isn't always closing/opening.
Spark (at the right time).
Fuel (in the correct amount).

You've indicated that it will start on starter fluid, which usually means that air, compression, and spark are there; so the problem must be fuel related. But, you've also indicated that the spark plugs are "wet" which usually points to an issue with spark. this doesn't appear to fit the traditional "no-start" scenario.

I think I'd start by pulling codes, to see if there are any clues there, and checking fuel pressure.

oh, and you need a special tool to get the fuel filter off or you will damage the fuel lines....

not sure how to pull codes with a paper clip, could you please explain in detail.

fuel pump primes the second you turn on ignition, you can hear it when you put ear to the fuel tank. tried yesterday to get fuel filter off i pulled i twisted tried everything to remove it, it won't come off...

As mentioned the fuel lines require a special disconnect tool. See the fuel filter removal thread for lots of good info and pics..

fuelfilter2.jpg

I have a fuel filter removal tool still will not pop off

not sure how to pull codes with a paper clip, could you please explain in detail.
I'd love to, but it's been explained in detail many times. Three threads on this board:

"How to pull EEC-IV codes without a scanner" thread at the top of the Under the Hood forum.
BrooklynBay's "2 and 3 digit EEC-IV codes" in the EEC-IV forum (subforum in the Under the Hood forum).
My "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" also in the EEC-IV forum.

Put Ford EEc-IV self-tests into your favorite search engine. You'll get plenty of hits.

I know whenever I've changed my fuel filter, I've usually had to fight a little bit with it after getting the tool in place to get it to let go. It seems that I ended up putting the tool in place, and using a screwdriver to pry a little to make sure the tool slid in all the way and to get the tube to let go of the filter.

welcome

Back