***HELP*** 02 Steering Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jayonnaise

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
First is a small (maybe 1/4") amount of in/out steering wheel play. As in, I can pull the steering wheel toward my chest and push it back toward the steering column. There is no play in any other direction, or when turning the wheel.

Also, on occasion, the steering wheel would slip a little when turning in either direction. Typically at very low speeds. Like maneuvering in a parking lot. Meaning, the steering wheel would momentarily turn without turning the tires. This would be accompanied by a chattering (?) noise and feel, as if splines or gears were loose and sliding against each other, then would catch again. I've removed the steering wheel. The bolt that holds it on was cranked down tight, and the splines that interface between the steering wheel and the column seem nice and tight with no play.

That slippage has gone away and somehow turned into clicking noises and binding. When turning left or right I hear clicking that often coincides with varying amounts of binding. Sometimes it's a light click with little to no resistance, and sometimes I have to muscle through the binding until the wheel pops free. I'm concerned that at some point the wheel will bind and I won't be able to turn through it.

I'm not certain that it isn't an issue further down the steering system (the lower steering shaft maybe), but all of this sounds like it's happening right in front of the steering wheel, in the steering column area. I had a mechanic suggest that there may be something wrong with the clock spring, but I can't find any info saying a bad clock spring can cause steering issues.

Any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Jay

First is a small (maybe 1/4") amount of in/out steering wheel play. As in, I can pull the steering wheel toward my chest and push it back toward the steering column. There is no play in any other direction, or when turning the wheel.

Also, on occasion, the steering wheel would slip a little when turning in either direction. Typically at very low speeds. Like maneuvering in a parking lot. Meaning, the steering wheel would momentarily turn without turning the tires. This would be accompanied by a chattering (?) noise and feel, as if splines or gears were loose and sliding against each other, then would catch again. I've removed the steering wheel. The bolt that holds it on was cranked down tight, and the splines that interface between the steering wheel and the column seem nice and tight with no play.

That slippage has gone away and somehow turned into clicking noises and binding. When turning left or right I hear clicking that often coincides with varying amounts of binding. Sometimes it's a light click with little to no resistance, and sometimes I have to muscle through the binding until the wheel pops free. I'm concerned that at some point the wheel will bind and I won't be able to turn through it.

I'm not certain that it isn't an issue further down the steering system (the lower steering shaft maybe), but all of this sounds like it's happening right in front of the steering wheel, in the steering column area. I had a mechanic suggest that there may be something wrong with the clock spring, but I can't find any info saying a bad clock spring can cause steering issues.

Any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Jay
Welcome to the forum.

Is this a 2WD or 4WD?

Best advice I can give is for you to stop driving the vehicle until this is fixed, and find another mechanic. The ‘clock spring’ will not bind your steering to the point of having to ‘muscle through’.

There could possibly be an issue in your steering rack, and / or front driveline (differential, axle shafts, etc).

Stay off the road until this is fixed. If you don’t have regard for your own safety, please think of the others on the road with you.

Welcome to the forum.

Is this a 2WD or 4WD?

Best advice I can give is for you to stop driving the vehicle until this is fixed, and find another mechanic. The ‘clock spring’ will not bind your steering to the point of having to ‘muscle through’.

There could possibly be an issue in your steering rack, and / or front driveline (differential, axle shafts, etc).

Stay off the road until this is fixed. If you don’t have regard for your own safety, please think of the others on the road with you.
Thank you so much for the reply. Seems odd there would be so much noise right on front of me if the issue was all the way in the front end. I'll try to get a video. That might be helpful.

Back