Help - 03 sluggish in warm weather | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - 03 sluggish in warm weather

borderchris

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hey all- any tips for a normally very speedy '03 (with 3:73's at that) with minor mods (K+N and cat-back) that gets very sluggish after a few minutes driving around town in (really not that hot) 80+ weather? Sometimes it's so bad it feels like I took off in 2nd gear! Just downright boggy. (But it IS in 1!)
If the ECM is retarding, why? Will a chip cure this?
Is maybe the torque converter is not unlocking/locking properly?

Grrrrrrr.... :exp: :shoot: Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you've got the a/c on and the fan clutch engages, both of those in conjunction really rob a lot of power....to the point when you floor it it feels like you're pulling a trailer. Try an electric fan, unless your 03 already has one...in which case disregard this post.

I would say its something more major than just the A/C. I'm sure you're still under warranty, why don't you take it back?

Sounds to me like tranny problem..ie getting over heated. I agree with Todd, take it back, or at least get it checked out by someone you trust ASAP.

Could quite possibly be a tranny problem. The TC is unlocking or it would stall. Next time try manually putting it into first and see what happens. Since Ford has sealed the tranny you can't really check the fluid. Which is really dumb!

Back