Help!! - "04" Explorer 2wd has a rubbing grinding noise going on in the front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! - "04" Explorer 2wd has a rubbing grinding noise going on in the front end

geelanpatrick82

Reaction score
City, State
Arcata, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Help!! - "04" Explorer 2wd has a rubbing grinding noise going on in the front end, left side (driver side). I have done a little research and the problem kind of sounds like a wheel bearing or a CV shaft bearing? The noise stops when doing a hard right, putting all the weight on the left side. When I lift the front tires off the ground, there is no play top to bottom when shaking the wheel, but there is some play left to right when shaking the wheel. Super broke right now and I can afford to fix one or the other so I really don't want to do the wheel bearing and have that not solve the problem.. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INPUT, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.. THX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With been 2wd I would think that the only areas that could be causing this noise is a wheel bearing or an issue with the brake calipers. Been rear wheel drive you will not have any cv shafts to cause any noise. If it was mine I would swing away the caliper and then spin the hub and check for any roughness. At this time you can also examine the pads and caliper for any uneven wear that could be caused by it been seized.

Thank you so much, I'm going to check it out right now.. it may have something to do with the caliper the ABS light came on a couple weeks ago. Thank you again. I will post my findings.

With been 2wd I would think that the only areas that could be causing this noise is a wheel bearing or an issue with the brake calipers. Been rear wheel drive you will not have any cv shafts to cause any noise. If it was mine I would swing away the caliper and then spin the hub and check for any roughness. At this time you can also examine the pads and caliper for any uneven wear that could be caused by it been seized.

Hi im having very simalar problem with my 04 explorer xlt 4x4 4.0 v6. Mine is the front right side tho. Was wondering if u figured out what it was. Im going to be replacing control arm today and check out a few other things. Would appreciate any advice.

It was the wheelbearing(hub). After replacing calipers, having rotors turned, new tires,and new ball joints, it was the hub bearings.. sorry guys i should have done this update post weeks ago.. And THANK YOU VERY MUCH, "DONYSTOY" For all your input..

Geelan: How many miles on your exploder? original wheel bearings, as far as you know? thanks.

Back