HELP! 05 Explorer stuck in park, ABS light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 05 Explorer stuck in park, ABS light on

adamscottmartin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4wd 4.0
Hi everyone, would appreciate any help possible! Mom stopped by today with her 05 Explorer XLT 4x4 and blocked my car in garage for a routine oil change. Trying to back it off the ramps, shifter is stuck in Park and ABS light is steady lit. Does start and runs fine, just no shift. Have been troubleshooting most of the night but its too damn cold and dark now so turned back to the interwebs.

Have been searching for answers and so far no dice. Here is what I have found:

• Checked fuses under dash and fuses/relays under hood, all appear to be good. Test replaced some with new units and no change.
  • Brake lights still work, so don't think its the brake sensor/switch.
  • Code scanner returns no ABS codes (and it has worked before so pretty sure its not my scanner being a POS)
  • Tried to find the neutral safety switch bypass in the column/under dash but can't locate to test using a screwdriver workaround - any help with location would be great!
  • Checked ABS connectors and all other relevant electrical connections, all look good. Have not checked voltages, ran out of light and patience and im frozen (20 degrees, Wisconsin)
  • Past week or so, Mom has been saying multiple dash lights come on intermittently and seems to be engaging ABS and making noises like that even when roads are dry. I tested in heavy snow last week and couldn't get it to kick on even in 2WD mode. Not 100% sure noise is ABS, just her description.
  • Saw firsthand in one case the ABS light & ADVTRAC message briefly came on but went away on its own. No stored codes.
  • Tried the parking brake + key ON in multiple positions + shift to neutral before starting but can't get it out of Park.
  • No recent changes to electrical wiring, no trailer harness present. Completely stock trim, no mods.
Based on other threads I have found, believe its one of the following things:

1. Neutral safety switch
  2. Trans shift solenoid
  3. Brake switch
  4. Failed transmission
Any thoughts? Going to start again in the morning, maybe will run out tonight and test more things as I find motivation and warmth. Thanks for any help, cheers!

UPDATE 12/31/16 10:40am: Attempted cycling parking brake, no change. Attempted park interlock bypass with no change. Checked all fuses, checked all connectors/wiring visually and everything looks OK. Still no solutions.

UPDATE 12/31/16 12:00pm: Talked with Mom and she believes this is the list of dash lights that came on when it was making the ABS "grinding" noises at random: ABS, 4WD HI (not always), traction control, ADVTRAC OFF, and possibly the P-Brake light even though it wasn't engaged.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there, does the shift selector actually move but just not change gear or does the selector not move at all?

Hi there, does the shift selector actually move but just not change gear or does the selector not move at all?
Selector does not move from park at all, regardless of key position or anything else I have tried.

this may sound strange but try applying the e brake a few times to get it out of park

You can also take the plastic cover off the upper steering column and push the "safety" thing out of the way so the shifter will move. I put a zip-tie on mine so it will never work because I'm not too stupid to know when to step on the brake pedal before shifting. (How did people manage for 60 years without a brake to shifter interlock?)

this may sound strange but try applying the e brake a few times to get it out of park

Just tested that this morning, no luck.

I had the exact problem about a month ago, TechGuru knows the answer.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/brake-light-switch-failure.454579/

Tom

My brake lights still work normally. Not 100% sold this switch is the issue, but may bite the bullet and replace if I can find one locally for cheap.

You can also take the plastic cover off the upper steering column and push the "safety" thing out of the way so the shifter will move. I put a zip-tie on mine so it will never work because I'm not too stupid to know when to step on the brake pedal before shifting. (How did people manage for 60 years without a brake to shifter interlock?)

Tried this, no luck. Tried using the screwdriver to bypass the interlock too and no luck either.

Other things I checked today with no results:

• Pulled and tested every single fuse. Everything OK from what I can tell.
  • Checked all connections for braking system and all OK.
  • Checked for moisture/corrosion/damage to wiring and all connectors at brakes, under hood, and under vehicle and all visually appear OK.
I'm still lost and hoping this is something silly. As of now, trans failure is lurking in the back of my head as a possible cause (based on Mom's description of ABS noise being incorrect).

Appreciate all the help thus far and welcome any other ideas!

I think there is more than one switch in the brake pedal sensing system. One is under the hood, near the vacuum boost cylinder...but I'm guessing now. Don't bet half a day of searching on this advice.

I think there is more than one switch in the brake pedal sensing system. One is under the hood, near the vacuum boost cylinder...but I'm guessing now. Don't bet half a day of searching on this advice.

My visual inspection can confirm there are more than one switch. Going back out soon to look into this more. Had to come inside and warm up and un-cramp my body from being under the dash so long.

your scanner is POS, if the ABS light is on then there is a code (it will not go off for any other reason)

I won't disagree with you but it has read every ABS code on every car I have ever tested it on even when more expensive scanners would not. That's why I tend to believe if there was a legit code, my scanner would read it. Right now I just wish it would read this one! :)

Just had a call with Mom, and she said when the dash lights came on at "random", these were the lights: ABS, 4WD HI (not always), traction control, ADVTRAC OFF, and possibly the P-Brake light even though it wasn't engaged. Not sure yet what this means, still no solutions. Yay!

ok i have an 02 and 05 mountaineer they both have a small plug under the stearing colum next to the bottom of the dash its the lock for the shifter pop out the plug the hole is smaller then a dime use small phillips

ok i have an 02 and 05 mountaineer they both have a small plug under the stearing colum next to the bottom of the dash its the lock for the shifter pop out the plug and push inside the hole small smaller then a dime phillips

Already tried that, still doesn't come out of Park. Followed process on page 230 I think of the owners manual and any other permutation I could think of. But thanks for the suggestion!

Hi everyone, would appreciate any help possible! Mom stopped by today with her 05 Explorer XLT 4x4 and blocked my car in garage for a routine oil change. Trying to back it off the ramps, shifter is stuck in Park and ABS light is steady lit. Does start and runs fine, just no shift. Have been troubleshooting most of the night but its too damn cold and dark now so turned back to the interwebs.

Have been searching for answers and so far no dice. Here is what I have found:

• Checked fuses under dash and fuses/relays under hood, all appear to be good. Test replaced some with new units and no change.
  • Brake lights still work, so don't think its the brake sensor/switch.
  • Code scanner returns no ABS codes (and it has worked before so pretty sure its not my scanner being a POS)
  • Tried to find the neutral safety switch bypass in the column/under dash but can't locate to test using a screwdriver workaround - any help with location would be great!
  • Checked ABS connectors and all other relevant electrical connections, all look good. Have not checked voltages, ran out of light and patience and im frozen (20 degrees, Wisconsin)
  • Past week or so, Mom has been saying multiple dash lights come on intermittently and seems to be engaging ABS and making noises like that even when roads are dry. I tested in heavy snow last week and couldn't get it to kick on even in 2WD mode. Not 100% sure noise is ABS, just her description.
  • Saw firsthand in one case the ABS light & ADVTRAC message briefly came on but went away on its own. No stored codes.
  • Tried the parking brake + key ON in multiple positions + shift to neutral before starting but can't get it out of Park.
  • No recent changes to electrical wiring, no trailer harness present. Completely stock trim, no mods.
Based on other threads I have found, believe its one of the following things:

1. Neutral safety switch
  2. Trans shift solenoid
  3. Brake switch
  4. Failed transmission
Any thoughts? Going to start again in the morning, maybe will run out tonight and test more things as I find motivation and warmth. Thanks for any help, cheers!

UPDATE 12/31/16 10:40am: Attempted cycling parking brake, no change. Attempted park interlock bypass with no change. Checked all fuses, checked all connectors/wiring visually and everything looks OK. Still no solutions.

UPDATE 12/31/16 12:00pm: Talked with Mom and she believes this is the list of dash lights that came on when it was making the ABS "grinding" noises at random: ABS, 4WD HI (not always), traction control, ADVTRAC OFF, and possibly the P-Brake light even though it wasn't engaged.

Already tried that, still doesn't come out of Park. Followed process on page 230 I think of the owners manual and any other permutation I could think of. But thanks for the suggestion!
did the shifter move

could you have someone push forward on the truck while you try and take it out of park you know like rock it a little seeing how its on the ramps still could have a lot of pressure on the locking pin..just a shot in the dark im stumped

could you have someone push forward on the truck while you try and take it out of park you know like rock it a little seeing how its on the ramps still could have a lot of pressure on the locking pin..just a shot in the dark im stumped
fuse number 26 brake shift inter lock

Sorry for the delay, been a busy New Years weekend. Anyways, I took it down off the ramps using my floor jack and was able to unlock the shifter. Probably had just enough tension on it to keep it locked up (which is odd because the slope is so very minimal). No more ABS light either and car is out of my driveway now.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance!

Back