Help 1988 Ranger 5.0 4R70w 4404/4406 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help 1988 Ranger 5.0 4R70w 4404/4406 swap

BarsBikes&Beasts

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ranger 4x4 XLT
Hi All,
New poster, long time leach that built a 99 Ranger 4x4 5.0 4R70w 4406 with the info I gleaned here. So now that I need real help I decided to pay back the community with an Elite membership 🤓
Currently in the throws of a more complex swap, 1997 EX 5.0 w/ 4R70w & 4404 into an 88 Ranger 4x4 Std Cab short bed and I see I’ll be running into speed sensor speedometer issues... Yup, I got the wrong electric 4406 (a “-23”) version, it has no speedometer gear hole provision. Any way I could use the trans to drive the speedometer cable? Or maybe alter the TC tail shaft? Or maybe the 4404 TC? Any pointers?
Thanks 🙏🏼
54177BD7-4C9A-4591-BEEE-5B587AA48E07.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm already half mystic!! I can float around the shop without a creeper like casper the friendly wrench monkey!!

Wicked project you have going there Phil!!

I have the solution for you, well actually Dakota Digital does, I just know how to use it.

Does your rear axle have a speed sensor in it?

here I install a dakota digital into a typical 5.0 conversion:

I'm already half mystic!! I can float around the shop without a creeper like casper the friendly wrench monkey!!

Wicked project you have going there Phil!!

I have the solution for you, well actually Dakota Digital does, I just know how to use it.

Does your rear axle have a speed sensor in it?

here I install a dakota digital into a typical 5.0 conversion:

Haha! A true mythical creep 😂 Nice to meet you good sir!
Thanks for the reply Fortune, much appreciated! I will definitely look into Dakota Digital. The truck doesn’t have a rear differential speed signal, for purposes to be explained later, I’m keeping the original ‘88 4:10 LS 7.5 rear in place. In terms of dash panel I’d like to keep the stock look as its one of the few with a factory tach. I did read your build on the EX you added the 4406 to. Thinking of the same path. The current tail housing in my soccer mom 2000 Expedition 4406-23 has the boss for the VSS, meter would need to be punched out, stator removed from shaft, then mounting the drive gear via bearing or key slot.
The other issue I see forthcoming is mating the 1988 Ranger cab electrics with the 1997 Explorer 5.0 wiring harness and PCM. I did some pics of your final BII harness but was on the phone browser so couldn’t roll over the pics for details. I also have a full harness and PCM for a 2000 Ex 5.0 including Cam Synchronizer, CPS, TPS, MAF and EGR if I wanted to go that route but I believe the 97 Ex 5.0 harness would be best due to the fuel delivery and MAF that better match my 93 Cobra intake and injectors. But as always any info or feedback is super appreciated!

Almost done with interior and frame coating, soon I’ll start mounting up the drivetrain and supporting components so thats where we find myself trying to iron out potential roadblocks now. There are many 😂

But about the truck itself, I’m super excited.
Found the truck non-running in GA, basically rust free and straight with only 46k on the odometer! She’s an XLT std cab short bed V6 with the highrider option. Basically an all option STX from what I’ve pieced together. I got such a good deal I’m almost embarrassed to brag about the fact that the gas down and back including food and a night in a Best Western was close to what I paid for it. The owners were not car folks and just let it sit and mold (but no rot) in a Georgia garden. Worked out for me just lots of cleaning and prepping.

I have build threads under Franken5liter for both of my Rangers over on TRS for my DD (99 Ranger ext cab 4x4 w/8.8 rear) About finished with Franken5.0 time to say hello and the “Outlaw” (88 Ranger std cab 4x4) 46k mile 1988 Ranger “Outlaw” 4x4 Restomod and Build
Thank you all for your support!!
584AB8AC-AA5C-4F4C-ACA4-5CB81FCBFF90.jpeg

VSS:
Find a 94-96 4406 t case tail housing including the plastic speedometer vss gear drive wheel and install onto your current t case.

Just like I did to my old 96 explorer. I called a few transfer case rebuild shops and told them what parts I was looking for.
I found a guy who shipped me all the parts to install the vss onto my 4406 manual shift case, then just used a dremmel to add the little ball bearing check ball....that holds the drive gear in place.

I would use a 96-97 explorer 5.0 vss in that tail housing and simply pull out the little white plastic plug which allows you to install the 1988 speedometer cable.
Both the 97 PCM and the 88 speedometer happy this way

your 2000 expedition t case does it have control trac?
Your 88 Ranger is ESOF 4wd? touch drive?

The fuel system:
The 97 -2000 5.0 computers do not care what fuel rail you run, they do not monitor fuel pressure and they simply energize the fuel pump relay and turn the fuel pump on or off. It was not until the next generation of fords, 2002+ that the pcm started to monitor and regulate fuel flow.

the 96-97.5 5.0 trucks are return style fuel rail and work with 38 psi rail pressure and 19# injectors
the 98-01 5.0 trucks are returnless fuel rail and work with 64 psi rail pressure and 19# injectors

So both 1997 and 2000 5.0 computers will work with whatever fuel rail and injectors you want to use

My 88 BII uses a 97 pcm, I have 97 explorer style fuel rail and regulator plumbed with factory return lines to the tank.
I used my 1988 fuel tank sender modified with a walbro 190 lph pump to work with the factory 88 fuel gauge
The BII had a stupid boost pump in tank then frame rail high pressure pump. I did away with that setup by simply installing a second inline filter in place of the frame rail pump.

Now I am planning to convert my BII to return less fuel, the fuel stays cooler and I can eliminate the entire return line. I would basically just need to plumb in a 98-01 5.0 fuel pressure regulator and pump into my 88 tank.

Tachometer:
To get the 5.0 PCM and DIS ignition to work with your 88 tach you are going to need to find a part, you need a tachometer head from a full size bronco, or F150 that had the 5.0 or 5.8. I think 84-96 trucks?
Otherwise modify your 88 dashpot to use the explorer tachometer head
I ditched my stock 88 tach years ago in favor of a 5" autometer unit...
There maybe other ways to make your stock tach work, I was not able to get mine to read properly with the 5.0 PCM

Wiring:
As we discussed, my 88 was previously converted to a 93 4.0 OHV before I went 5.0, at least as far as the power distribution is concerned. The 1988 alternator charging system, fuse and relay box leaves much to be desired. The 93-94 explorer box is perfect for the BII body/under hood/upgrade.
5.0 power box can be adapted also, 97-01 charging system is very good. 96-97 still use starter solenoid like your 88
98+ use starter relay

Plan to add a OBD2 port under the dash and run the two Bus + and - wires inside so you can talk to the pcm
I still have all of my stock 1988 through firewall and dash wiring in place, however I removed all of the power windows, locks, ESOF, and RABS systems

I'm going to go check out your build thread so I can see what I can learn!!
Such a clean truck, let me know if I can help you climb any of those conversion hurdles.

Just please don't wear a cape. Those are for a night @ the Opera only

dammit I had my Dr. Strange cape and mechanic outfit all ready to go!

410 tell em about the magic little wrench you use after a 2 minute free fix that 27
other mechanics could not fix or needed 1st born male for the payment!

Mine was a 12 point 5/6 Snap-on wrench. I used one as a teething tool
for the kids also.

Welcome, and I like that project.

Anything ever come of this

Very nice truck!

Back