"HELP" 1994 Explorer Sport Clutch/Transmission Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"HELP" 1994 Explorer Sport Clutch/Transmission Problem

budley

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer sport
I was going down the road in cruise control and heard a tink tink noise and then my transmission 5 speed manual mazda started making a grinding noise and had to pull over and get it towed. I figured the clutch went out so i bought a clutch kit and pulled tranny, when i drained the fluid it seemed like only a quart came out or less...after removing tranny found that the slave cyl was melted to the transmission...so i figured that was the problem the clutch and pressure plate werent that bad, so i replaced the clutch,pressure plate,pilot bearing, had flywheel turned, and new slave cyl assembly...put it back together and filled with about 3 quarts of atf....started it up and put in neutral and went to relase clutch and same grinding noise came from transmission when i let off pedal...not sure if the transmission gears are bad from running low on fluid or if it needs bled...was curious if anyone knows what this might be any help would be greatly appreciated because i am really upset after doing all this work and still having problems...thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to say that the transmission is the original with only about 90,000 miles on the vehicle...

Looks to me like its your tranny, the input shaft gear and lower gear cluster probably has the teeth stripped. Check with your local junk yard for one and how much before rebuilding. Those gears cost me about $400 to replace. The cause of the problem was probably some rubber plugs in the top cover on the back side that shrink after time allowing the oil to leak out as you go down the road which is why you didn't see an oil puddle where you park your car. Do a search for this problem in this forum and you will learn more. You can check for this by not removing the tranny by removing the shifter knob, boot and pulling the carpet back to expose the access cover removing it to get to the top cover and removing it to check the gears, if the gears are bad you will need to remove the transmission.

thanks

i read about the plugs online and heard of this problem...they were slightly loose but still there...would the truck still move if these gears are stripped? becuase it will roll when put in gear and clutch is engaged just makes grinding noise

when the gears are stripped all you will have is 4th gear ( 1-1 ratio). it could be the syncros are out of adjustment or shifter forks are not aligning the the syncros right.
And while you are in there replace the rubber plugs with the steel ones.

When you get in there you will see how the thing works, but it's easier to work on it with it out of the car, and by the way welcome to the forum.

thanks for the information...and the welcome...i appreciate you responding so quickly to my problem is there anything i can try or any info i could give you to better isolate exactly what my problem is??? and is it very hard to rebuild these units? as i have never done anything like that before this was my first clutch job but i followed the book religiously... i will definitely replace the plugs for sure though i thought about doing it while i had it out but really needed to get the vehicle back on the road for work...guess i should have spent the extra time

As long as the grinding noise comes from the transmission and I believe you said you drained a quart of fluid from it tells me it was running low on fluid then you should know what to do. If you have the right book and know how of fit and function of parts I can't see why you couldn't tackle this job. I too rebuilt my first one this spring, and it gets me to work just fine so far.;)

Input Shaft Bearing

Well I took apart the transmission and and realized immeadiately that the input shaft bearing is at fault....Luckily none of the gears are damaged after the race went through the gears and drained out when I drained the new fluid. Does any know what it takes to get this bearing off ??? (or whats left of it) as all off it came out except the bottom part where it rides on the shaft(or is pressed on I imagine) also whats the best place to get this kit or parts? I need the bearing and everything in front of it because it was all toast :( thanks in advance for any help

Back