• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

HELP! 2020 Explorer ST brake controller plug.

thedanman

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Platinum
2020 ST
I tried to find the plug the other day, but couldn't find it. I found it with no issue on my 2016 platinum, which was totaled a few weeks ago. I upgraded to an ST this weekend, but I didn't find the harness in the same spot as the 2016. Can you give any guidance? I assumed it was right above the gas pedal - I took out the plastic and didn't immediately see it. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dstewart51

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hughes, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Callsign
KJ7E
I tried to find the plug the other day, but couldn't find it. I found it with no issue on my 2016 platinum, which was totaled a few weeks ago. I upgraded to an ST this weekend, but I didn't find the harness in the same spot as the 2016. Can you give any guidance? I assumed it was right above the gas pedal - I took out the plastic and didn't immediately see it. TIA

Not seen it myself. I recall reading a post where someone with a 2020 Explorer added a trailer brake controller, but I don't recall the exact thread.

Fasstang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer ST
I have pulled the panel under the column and can hot find it. Please Help

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Fasstang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer ST
Still Looking for some that has done this.

mehardy

Reaction score
City, State
Dauphin Island, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I found the plug on my 2020 ST. Remove the lower dash panel. The plug is under the steering column area attached to beam behind and above the lower air bag. I can send pictures if needed.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
I found the plug on my 2020 ST. Remove the lower dash panel. The plug is under the steering column area attached to beam behind and above the lower air bag. I can send pictures if needed.
Pictures are always welcome and usually very helpful.

Peter

mehardy

Reaction score
City, State
Dauphin Island, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
This the connector for the brake controller on a 2020 Explorer ST. I just finished my install and it works!.

cONN_LI.jpg

Jeff Engelman

Reaction score
City, State
Mead, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
65 Ford Falcon
This the connector for the brake controller on a 2020 Explorer ST. I just finished my install and it works!.

View attachment 176398
Pictures of where you mounted the controller in a 2020 Explorer would be helpful. I haven't bought the Explorer yet - trying to figure this out before doing so. Thanks,

breddy

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I'd also like to know where you mounted it. I found the connect up under the dash panel and confirmed that the pigtail for 2016 works with 2020 on my Tekonsha P3. But I am not sure where to put it. The best place is the little flat section below the OBD port because it is out of the way but that piece of plastic is flimsy on the back side even though it's screwed in fairly securely on the front side (facing the seat).

I thought about mounting it to the fuse box cover but not sure the clips will hold the extra weight.

Another option is to just leave the cable behind the fuse cover and when using the trailer, just let it sit in the open fusebox access hole. It kinds rests there out of the way. We use the trailer only a few times a year so this isn't a horrible idea.

To the right of the fuse cover is also an option but I haven't yet looked to see what's behind there that I might drill into -- also that kinda puts the controller where our knees go when we get in and out of the vehicle.

I'm still flabbergasted why they don't just build these things into vehicles that have TOW PACKAGES.

breddy

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Another potential gotcha: the connector is just to the right of the steering wheel and up under the panel. It faces to the right, meaning the pigtail will stick out to the right (toward the center console) once connected. There is a blank plug in there that you need to remove so that the pigtail will plug in. Don't recall this being the case on our 16.

breddy

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
OK here's what I did. The little flimsy section below the OBD port is mostly good enough but I didn't drill it yet. Used some high strength velcro (credit to my wife on this one!) and fed the cable over the top of another harness behind it so that it doesn't hang back by the brake pedal.

2020.jpeg

Wislnby

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, XLT
So are the brake controllers just plug and play on the 2020 Explorer's with the towing package?

Last edited by a moderator:

breddy

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So are the break controllers just plug and play on the 2020 Explorer's with the towing package?
Not sure what you mean by plug-and-play? Our 2016 and 2020 both have towing packages and the controller was indeed just a plug-in-and-mount affair. You can control the boost etc using the controller but nothing else required. Already wired out to the receiver.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
So are the brake controllers just plug and play on the 2020 Explorer's with the towing package?

Peter

Charles White

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Wow, without the picture from this thread I think I would have given up on finding the connector. I'd already removed the under steering wheel covers and looked for the connector. I had access the Motorcraft Wiring Diagrams for the 2020 Explorer and knew that there should be a connector up there, but I just couldn't find. After see a picture of the actual connector and the hint to the location, I was able to find it. At least in my case there was a dummy plug inserted into the connector that I had to remove before I plugged in the connector cable.

Now I just have to decide where to mount the controller.

Thanks again.

Ed

northvibe

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Wow, without the picture from this thread I think I would have given up on finding the connector. I'd already removed the under steering wheel covers and looked for the connector. I had access the Motorcraft Wiring Diagrams for the 2020 Explorer and knew that there should be a connector up there, but I just couldn't find. After see a picture of the actual connector and the hint to the location, I was able to find it. At least in my case there was a dummy plug inserted into the connector that I had to remove before I plugged in the connector cable.

Now I just have to decide where to mount the controller.

Thanks again.

Ed
I agree! I was installing the TRL auto start/stop eliminator and had the lower panel off to poke around and find the plug for VSS and trailer brake, couldn't find the plug for the longest time. I had to lay upside down and have my legs in the air to find that gray plug. That pic really helped.

My 2020 XLT also had a dummy/blank plugged in as well. I still haven't decided on the controller yet, but be careful pulling the panel off. I broke a few of those green xmas trees.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.