Help! 91 explorer a4ld no od | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 91 explorer a4ld no od

Reaction score
City, State
Summerton,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer Eddie Bauer
First time driving the explorer yesterday and my shifts are wierd and had high rpms through all gears 3000 at 55 new vacuum modulator and hose idle in gear is like 870-990 ish I need some help what's going on with the transmission? Is it valve body issues or is it toast, also when I bought it 2 yrs ago I had no 3rd gear I finally got it fixed few weeks ago I just put it on the road idk how long he drove it with no 3rd or 4th (assuming u won't get od if it's not going into 3rd ) any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shifts 1 through 3 are controlled by engine vacuum. 3-4 shift and TCC lockup are electronically controlled. My usual suggestion in these cases is to determine if the problem is that the computer is not commanding the 3-4 upshift, or if the computer is commanding the upshift but the transmission is not responding. 3-4 shift circuit is a basic DC circuit, with the "switch" on the ground side of the 3-4 solenoid. I would start by checking the integrity of the circuit.

Shifts 1 through 3 are controlled by engine vacuum. 3-4 shift and TCC lockup are electronically controlled. My usual suggestion in these cases is to determine if the problem is that the computer is not commanding the 3-4 upshift, or if the computer is commanding the upshift but the transmission is not responding. 3-4 shift circuit is a basic DC circuit, with the "switch" on the ground side of the 3-4 solenoid. I would start by checking the integrity of the circuit.

Where do I start checking, and will I high idle cause late shifts with high rpms in all gears? I'm getting 2500 at 35 and 2800 at 50

will I high idle cause late shifts with high rpms in all gears?
Possibly, it would depend on why you have a high idle. If the high idle is caused by a vacuum leak, this would also show up as low engine vacuum at the vacuum modulator to the transmission. Low engine vacuum suggests to the transmission that the engine is under higher load and that the transmission should wait until higher engine speeds to shift up.

Where to start on the 3-4 shift circuit? I would start by getting a wiring diagram (even the one in Chilton's is adequate). I would normally start by testing for power to the transmission solenoids at the transmission connector.

Possibly, it would depend on why you have a high idle. If the high idle is caused by a vacuum leak, this would also show up as low engine vacuum at the vacuum modulator to the transmission. Low engine vacuum suggests to the transmission that the engine is under higher load and that the transmission should wait until higher engine speeds to shift up.

Where to start on the 3-4 shift circuit? I would start by getting a wiring diagram (even the one in Chilton's is adequate). I would normally start by testing for power to the transmission solenoids at the transmission connector.

I have a hosed diner transmission I took the vb out I see it's 3 wires I'm guessing based on what I saw one is hot the other r the switched ground

Back