Help! 92 explorer 4.0L cranks but wont stay running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 92 explorer 4.0L cranks but wont stay running

niteraven13

Reaction score
City, State
Darlington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
I have a 92 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD with a 4.0 liter automatic it ran great no problems then about a month ago my husband cranked it up but wouldn't run over 35 mph, it doesn't have any power. He was able to drive it around the park but thats it. Thought it was fuel pump but the pump sounds like it is running fine. No idea where to check next. Someone suggested the converter was clogged and read on here it could be relay but don't know where thats located. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Niteraven13

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with a fuel pressure test.

yes..fuel pressure test. Just because you can hear it run, doesn't mean its putting out pressure. Should be 30-35 psi.

what can I do to test it if I dont own one so it could still be the pump

if you have a pressure guage rig up a 3/8 hose to the guage and just hose clamp it to Schrader valve after you remove valve stem.
roscoe

what can I do to test it if I dont own one so it could still be the pump

If you don't own a pressure gauge you might be able to take it to a store like Autozone, they might be able to test it for you. The way I did it was buy a cheap gauge ($30-$40) and I taped it to my windshield. That way I could monitor the pressure while driving. I found out pretty fast that the old pump wasn't putting out.

Usually above 25 psi is needed, anything less it starts sputtering and dying.

Have you pulled codes from the ECU? You can do it by jumpering a couple wires together and reading the dash light. But a $30 OBD1 code reader is very convenient

Back