HELP! 96 Explorer 4r55e Transmission trouble | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 96 Explorer 4r55e Transmission trouble

4wd-- like said i can drive it but it will not take off from a dead stop like a red light inless i take off in 2nd gear then put it up in drive it a auto tranny but i have to shift it like a stick been like that when i bought it i have been driving it like that for 2 years the 4wd works good im think it the 1st gear in the tranny but im not sure because if i pull it all the down to 1st it make a loud noise almost like a scraping clunking sound

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i put 3 quarts in and threw it on jacks and all forward gears worked fine, but as soon as it was all 4 wheels on the ground it wouldnt budge except for reverse again

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I was curious. Did anything come of this? Several posters, then nothing!

im having the same problems and want to find out more info

tranny went out on me yesterday on the freeway and this is the exact same situation could some one please say whether or not is was the filter because that'd be a lot easier fix then a tranny swap

96 explorer

I have been experiencing similar problems I'm my explorer. It has over 200,000 miles with little or no maintainence. I bought it from original owner. So far I have replaced the filter and changed the fluid twice, replaced 2 relays under the dash and am still experiencing problems! I am not a certified mechanic however I grewup working on cars, mostly fords! It seems to me that at least in my case poor maintainence is the number one problem! Next it there is a tie between the transmission and the electrical in the cab of the truck, window switch and o/d, 4x4/low flashing lights. I have not yet hooked up to a computer to check the codes but I bet it will say something about the #2 solenoid or maybe the torque converter clutch solenoid. It also seems to me that this is a common problem in explorers! I plan to, if needed rebuild this thing. Even If I have to visit the wrecking yard 100 times to find the right parts! I will try to keep an update going so that I can get the word out on how to fix, and or find the problem that seems to plague this otherwise excellent ford product.

My trans. (4R55E) finally threw me a code, 2 of them actually. PO 732 and PO 756, the second one has something to do with the second gear shift solenoid. My trans does what it wants when it wants. Shifts hard then not. Will clunk then won't. Shifts as smooth as butter then won't. I think I will drive it til it dies then convert to 5 spd manual! I will take any suggestions though.

Back