Help! 96 Explorer XLT Lost 4th gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 96 Explorer XLT Lost 4th gear

Muzzle28

Reaction score
City, State
Pendleton, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ExplorerXLT 4.0 V6 4X4
I have a 96' Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 4X4 that has lost 4th gear.

I bought the truck 3 months ago and it seemed to be running fine. After a few highway trips I began to notice that the O/D Off light would begin to blink and I would have no O/D while the light was blinking.

If I turned the truck off and back on the light would stop flashing and I would have O/D again until driving on the highway again.

Eventually the truck would not start and I had to have the fuel pump replaced. After a few more days of driving I noticed that i was not shifting into 4th gear when on the highway but the O/D light was not flashing.

I've attempted to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. I was still not shifting into 4th gear.

Does anyone know what would casue this? I've heard it could be caused by a solenoid in the valve body, but I don't want to spend money on parts I don't need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the condition of your tranny fluid?

Check your tranny fluid, and level, how many miles? On original tranny?

I'm am currently at work and will check the tranny fluid is a few hours, should it be checked when cold or warm?

I do know that when i had the oil changed in late Febuary that they said the tranny fuild looked brand new. I am not sure if this is the orgional tranny or not as I'm not the origional owner, the previous owner is stated they did not swap out the tranny but they also only owned it for a short time before selling it.

I will also need to double check the mileage but I believe it is around 150-160k

Tranny fluid is red and right at level, milage is 163k

What does it smell like? Dark or light red?

Honestly, I did not think to smell it. Id say its a medium red, darker than new fulid but no where near turning brown.

Even really burn fluid won't look brown on your dipstick, and won't really turn brown...

If you were to pour out really burnt fluid, you will just have dark red. You want to see if there is a smell like burnt chestnuts. It will be faint if you are just smelling what is on your dipstick, but good fluid has a distinctive and stronger smell.

Honestly, if your tranny fluid is full, I would suspect an internal problem with your transmission, and you would probably be better off asking someone to inspect it for you, such as a mechanic, unless you have a very mechanically inclined friend.

Yes, could be an under torqued valve body bolt(s) or something around that. If it's the original tranny, having problems now would make sense. Hope you get it fixed as soon as you can!

Back