Help, 97 Mountaineer Won't Start

RandomPat

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabethtown, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mercury Mountaneer AWD
Hello, I need someones expertise!
I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer, 5.0L AWD. I recently drove to an Auto parts store and it wouldnt start back up.. The Irony, i know!!
So far I have replaced the Starter, Starter Relay, and troubleshot the Anti Theft relay, still same issue. Yes, I tried Jumping it to eliminate the BATT and checked the fuses. When you turn the key you can hear noise at the relay but its silent at the starter, not even an attempt to rotate.. Im starting to wonder if its the Throttle Position sensor, or I believe there is some sensor in the Tranny as well.
I recently noticed the Key I have is aftermarket an contains no chip. It worked previously though.

If anybody has ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its what you are talking about its the neutral safety switch. Try in neutral starting it. 99.9% of the time if it fails in the park position it will still work in neutral.

If its what you are talking about its the neutral safety switch. Try in neutral starting it. 99.9% of the time if it fails in the park position it will still work in neutral.

Tried that already.

I suppose it's possible that your ignition switch has gone bad. If you're inclined to do so, I think you can get a replacement switch with keys at the auto parts store. Unsure about the pats stuff, though. A switch without the coded keys may still work for your mounty, but maybe somebody who knows more than I do about that stuff will chime in. Good luck with it!

Check all your cables and connections (clean them while you're at it), starting from the battery, going all the way to the starter. Check negative cable especially, if mine is loose, I get the same symptom. I also have a body ground connected directly to the battery, again, if it's loose, no start. Not positive if they all have them or not, but my '97 has two solenoids, one mounted to the driver side fender wall, the other is on the starter itself.

Check all your cables and connections (clean them while you're at it), starting from the battery, going all the way to the starter. Check negative cable especially, if mine is loose, I get the same symptom. I also have a body ground connected directly to the battery, again, if it's loose, no start. Not positive if they all have them or not, but my '97 has two solenoids, one mounted to the driver side fender wall, the other is on the starter itself.

Yea, it has the 2 solenoids, i thought one was a relay but either way i have replaced the starter with the solenoid on it and the solenoid/relay on the fender wall. I will try the ground idea seems about like the only thing i havent investigated. I can hear the solenoid/relay on the fender wall click/thud when i attempt to start but nothing seems to be getting to the starter itself. Do these trucks have a Crankshaft Sensor?

Ok, so apparently it was just the dumb Battery this whole time. I had it tested and charged, it would only charge up to 2% and like 11.8V. Why does it always end up being something stupid? lol
I do find it odd that even attempts to Jump it didnt work..
Thanks for the help everybody!

tip: always check the simple stuff first. a test with a cheap VOM would have told you the battery was no good, or at least not charged.

Back