HELP A.S.A.P, filler tube Fueltank leaking. Smell gas arround my truck. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP A.S.A.P, filler tube Fueltank leaking. Smell gas arround my truck.

Big_n_Slow

Reaction score
City, State
Spijkenisse
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello everybody, My 98' explorer truck is leaking gas while filling her up. point of concern is the fillertube. it's rotten like hell.
Because i'm living in The Netherlands (EU) it's verry hard to get that piece. is it possible with some handywork to use one of example the ford focus?
thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try looking on Amazon for a replacement. I doubt that anyone here would be about to answer your question regarding whether a filler neck from another vehicle work.

Hello everybody, My 98' explorer truck is leaking gas while filling her up. point of concern is the fillertube. it's rotten like hell.
Because i'm living in The Netherlands (EU) it's verry hard to get that piece. is it possible with some handywork to use one of example the ford focus?
thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

Hi.

Any of the Ford Explorer models from 97 to 2001, as well as the Mercury Mountaineer from the same years use the same fuel filler neck. Those two are the only compatible ones with your car.

If you're asking if it's possible to repair the leak, I'd say it's possible, but not advisable. Say you use something like steel epoxy putty, which is pretty tough... might hold up for a while, but if it were to chip off and get into the fuel tank, you just opened up a whole new set of problems. I've seen a friend of mine who frequently does ghetto repairs to his car fix a large crack in his radiator with that stuff, but I don't subscribe to those kind of "repairs."

Get it online, or find another Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer to take it off of. Best of luck.

Thanks for the info, already have repaired the fillertube for the fuel. not easy. and used NOT explorer based parts... not for now. saving some money now to get the whole car at once done. not part by part.

Things that need's to be done are rust, lot of welding, and coating it with hammerite for bold steel/rust. then coating the car.
old fueltank out, new one as replacement (just to be sure) then new fuel lines and fillertube.

also doing some work on the engine, idle is running verry low and rich. so need to be fixet soon as possible.

for the fillertube. used parts of the Ford Focus Diesel, tube is too long, used some cutting and welding to make it fit. now it's an closed system again.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you're dealing with rust, don't forget the brake lines. Especially the rear one(s). Also the rear spring shackles tend to rust very badly.

If you're dealing with rust, don't forget the brake lines. Especially the rear one(s). Also the rear spring shackles tend to rust very badly.

brakelines already changed. :thumbsup:
one was leaking, so changed it all of them, also the main brakelines

Back