• Register Today It's free!

Help! A4LD to C4-C5

TxExplorerx2

Reaction score
City, State
Vernon, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 and 94 XLT's
Ok before starting I have researched this through the forum and internet to the point I have confuse the HECK out of myself. So please bare with me.

I am building a crawler out of a 94 4 Door XLT. I am doing a Dana 44 and 14 Bolt swap along with 4 link front and rear.

My problem is I am taking the A4LD out of this explorer and throwing it into my 93 which I have destroyed 2 transmissions in rock crawling. I am going to be using a Dana 300. I need to know what I need to make a C5 AUTO 4x4 Transmission work in this 94.

I know I know research research research but I have researched myself into confusing daze and my brain has told me to F Off. Any help is appreciated.

Also I am not a newbie I just forgot my username for my other account and my forwarding e-mail address is no longer active :(

For a C4.... Bellhousing and flexplate off a 2.9 in a bronco II or pinto, kickdown cable from a bronco with a 2.9, Computer out of a manual truck so you won't throw codes, and I think you have to modify the crossmember or change mounts or move it or something. One of those three. Ziptie the wiring harness out of the way, and I am not sure about the VSS, I can't remember if the Ford speedo gear and VSS goes into a dana 300 or not. You'll be losing overdrive, but it looks like you don't want to use this for a DD anyways.

A C5.... well, I am not as sure about this one. I think you are going to need an adapter plate (you can find them, just look for one to adapt onto a ford windsor v8 bolt pattern), and I cannot remember what flexplate is good for this... maybe the explorer one will work, but if you find the adapter plate, the person selling it will be able to tell you. Kickdown cable... you should be able to use the Bronco one on this as well. Transmission mounts.... I know you will have to change and move the crossmember.

C4/C5 use the same bell housing; you would need to find either an 83-84 Ranger with a 2.8 and auto, 84 Bronco II 2.8 auto, or any of the Ford cars with a 2.8 and 3 speed automatic.

Culhane Racing Transmissions makes a heavy duty C4 bell housing, but it's not cheap at $418 a whack.

I was looking at this route earlier and decided I'd probably do the V8 swap at the same time considering how rare a 4x4 C5 trans seems to be around here.

Thats where I get confused... I read somewhere that someone took a C5 out of a 84 BroncoII and it was a direct bolt in... So thats what I have been looking for... If I did the C5 I would just take the C4 parts and put it in the C5 because I have heard it made it stouter... So I am ASSuming I need a 84 BroncoII 4x4 with a 2.8 C5 trasmission... If anyone can confirm this it would be greatly appreciated...

Back