HELP! Any teachers here? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Any teachers here?

explorergf

Wannabe <a href="http://www.explorer4x4.com/elite.
Reaction score
City, State
Michigan City, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Honda Civic Ex
I am going to school to be a teacher... but that has nothing to do with this right now...

I am going to start tutoring a ninth grade boy this week. His problem is that he reads at a 3rd grade level, and therefore is failing all of his classes because he can't do the reading. my question is this, what can i do to help him learn to read better? What can I do to help him get his reading "up to par" persay?

Also, how do I go about tutoring (I am going to be helping him with his daily homework and studying) without giving him the answers? I am known for saying "here, let me do it. i'll give you the answer."

i really want to help this boy. any suggestions will be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not a teacher, but I would start by getting some educational books on reading and phonics. Start with the 3rd grade level and step up as he progresses. As far as tutoring you just have to explain things to him in a way that he can understand and comprehend, I wouldn't worry to much about it as it will come to you when you sit down with him and start talking and doing the work. Above all else have lots of patience with him and if you are getting frustrated don't let him see it, if you do it will discourage him faster than anything else, which will only make things harder on the both of you. I hope this helps you out and good luck to you and your student.

I'm sure Char could tell you. :)

My mom is a 2nd grade teacher. I don't really know what she does to teach people though, I once came to her room and helped some of her kids with math, which seemed super easy to me, but was so difficult to explain. As far as reading, you really need to find something interesting for him to read. There is nothing worse than trying to read something that is so extremely boring. Try reading 15th century history that just rambles on and on and on.
If you're doing all around tutoring such as math and stuff, it always helps to write out every single step of a problem. Then if something goes wrong then you can go back and figure out where the problem is. I have a tendency to do things in my head or all on my calculator, so that I may miss a step and have to start all over.
Flashcards help and so do games if you can find some online or something. My mom goes to teacher stores that have tons of books and games that will help with learning.

thanks for all the help you guys! we'll see how it goes! i just want to do things right so i don't discourage this boy anymore than he already is!

Your gonna have to be patient. That's the key ;) Maybe I get my wife to give you some advice. She's also planning on being a Teacher. She's going for her Credentials and Masters right now, but she works in a after school program. I'll see if I can get her to right some words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

Here you go, her words of wisdom!

I completely agree with all the other statements that were made. Patience is the biggest part of it all. The best way for you to help him with his homework is by having him read the instructions to you (even at a third grade level he should be able to understand them a bit) and have him interpret those directions back to you.
With his reading, I would suggest you pick some books he like to read and spend some time working on his comprehension skills. Have him read and re-read, and ask him questions about what he just read. Even if you think some of your questions are too obvious or too easy, don't worry because at a third grade reading level he has not developed his decoding skills and might not be able to answers (even the easy) questions. He will learn to look back into the reading to help himself find the answers, and that is great especially if he remembers where it is located.
I have be working with fifth and sixth graders over the past three summers on exactly that same process (re-reading, decoding and inference). My school district bought teachers and assistants this book that helped with reading strategies.

Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
by Stephanie Harvey, Anne Goudvis

I highly recommened this book, espcially when you have your own classroom.

Hope I helped.

Back