HELP! Any way around programming keys? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Any way around programming keys?

I wouldn't try programming a 2nd key on your own. I talked to a key guy who tried. Not only did it not work, but it rendered the first key useless. And then you get to pay for towing to your nearest ford dealer.

After you get your second key working, buy a third and program it yourself. . that way you won't have to do this again if you loose one.

We had a 97 mustang and my sister went through $500 worth of keys (4 sets (key and fob) i think).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you talking about the "thingie" to lock/unlock the doors, I can help

On my 98 XLT you had to:

1. Buy the second key

2. Have both "thingies" ready and the ignition key in the ignition

3. Turn the key right up before the run possition, and do this about 5-8 times before you hear the doors lock.

4. Quickly press the lock button on the working "thingie" and then the lock on the other "thingie"

5. Repeat step 4 for the unlock key (must do pretty quickly but wait until you hear the doors respond.

6. You should have two working "thingies" for your truck

The "thingie" you are talking about is the key fob. He is trying to reprogram a new key (that is the thingie you pit in your ignition and turn to start your Explorer) for his Explorer, not the key fob. In '98 Ford introduced a new theft deterent package that has the computer coded to the key. When you get a new key the computer will not recognize it and your Explorer will fail to start.

And then when your wife loses her one and only key you are truly screwed. lol

BTW, still haven't found a way around this problem. If I can't by this weekend I'm going to have to bite the bullet next week before she loses our only key. (And yes I will get two keys so I don't have to go through this again.)

YetiX, if you haven't done anything about a spare key yet, you can get a blank key from Bergen County Lock 501 Main Street Fort Lee, NJ 07024 201-592-7722 for $21, pay $3 to have it cut and then try the procedure in the manual, to program your new key. The procedure does say you need to have TWO old keys to program a new one, but I've heard somebody has done it with ONE old key and one new one.

Oh, the newest keys are different from the ones on '98s so be careful which one you get.
Dead Link Removed

If this doesn't work out, head to the dealer I guess..!

I can't see it hurting anything to at least try it with one old and one new key. (Famous last words.)

Does my 97 xlt have the chip? I bought the truck used the other day, with only one key.

I was told that up to Year 2000 vehicles you can program with 1 key . After that you must have 2 keys . If you want to avoid the noid and dont wanna pay the cost of programming keys , install your good key inside the steering coloumb and get new keys (cheap ones) cut . If you are worried about someone stealing the truck with your good key , just hack the end of the key off with a saw . I wouldnt try to get the chip out of the plastic end because if you do , you might break it and render your truck dead . Id go back to the salesman and demand a second set of keys . Remember the dealer wants the money $75 , but that is for thier profit . They can easily do it for free . At most it could cost the dealer 20 bucks total for the key and thier time .
If they won't do it , remind them where you won't be coming when you need your vehicle serviced and when you want to replace it with a newer version .

Originally posted by jjr007
Does my 97 xlt have the chip? I bought the truck used the other day, with only one key.

No, your '97 doesn't have the chip in the key. That started in '98.

I have a friend with a crown vic that had the same problem. he lost one key so he decided to just disable the system. he got wiring diagrams (5$) from a shop, spent 2 weeks under the dash cutting splicing wires. (10$ for 100 wire crimps) opining modules and unsoldering leads to the input/output IC for the system.
and what he ended up doing.......totally rendering his car worthless. he had it towed to ford (65$) and had them work on it for a week (75$ and hour). new computer, wiring harness, keys, lock cylinder.

all told $1274.73. just because he didn't want to spend 100$ to get a key made. :nono:

but it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. I got to watch him destroy his car the hole way through this.

ex90

Just as an end to the story, I finally convinced the dealer that it was in his best interests to re-key the whole truck, reprogram the system and give me a second remote. Now I've got to make a third key myself so we don't have to go through this again.

Great ,
Perhaps they will get your business next time you want a vehicle . :)

I bought a used 99 X and the salesguy neglected to mention that it had no 2nd key until we had the truck. I went back and told him that was part of the deal or he could have the truck back.
He finally had the 2nd key made (at no charge) the next day.
I was quoted $40 for the key and @ $75 for labor. I found a different source for keys, still not cheap but more afordable at $30
each and coded two more to be safe.
(All prices are in Canandian $)
The hard part was I traded my 93 Limited in for a 99 XLS.The 93 did need a new 4x4 system, new front ball joints, updated A/C,and numerous other things repaired.Oh well on to more fun things...

this makes me mad too i just got my new alarm installed with remote start and when they were supposed to call me to tell me it was done i decided to call them and they were like well we cannot program the remote start till i get a second key. what kind of crap is that? i just got a quote too of like 90 bucks to get a second key made. i am pissed off now. i just spend 600 for an alarm and now i find out i got to buy another friggin key for another 100 just for my remote start to be programmed. i would not be soo mad except i plan on doing alot of other engine mods here soon and dont want to waste my money elsewhere that i dont need. but i did need this alarm. god this blows.

Dealer tried to pull this crap with me as well on a one year old warrantied vehicle previous owner lost one of the keys and the fob; they wanted $100 the day after I bought the truck; so I emailed ford canada told them the vehicle VIN #, dealer location, and salesmans name. Moral of the story is he no longer works there, and I have two keys. I'm telling you these *******s will nickel and dime you as much as a bank if they can get away with it. I must say chrysler 5 star dealers are much more receptive to customer issues, but alas I'd much rather own a ford truck.

Ford Key

About a month ago, I bought two key blanks off eBay for $11.00. The guy selling them had 100 blanks for sale. I had both of them cut at Ace hardware for $1.00. I just finished getting them coded with my explorer and they work fine.

They are not genuine Ford keys, but they have the chip and work as good as the Ford ones do.

Back