• Register Today It's free!

Help asap

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
I need your help as soon as possible! I leave in the morning for NC.

I was driving on some mountain roads here (dirt back roads) and noticed the roads seem to be rather bumpy. Well, I just figure it's bad shocks or something.
Well, I decide to go out on to the actual asphalt to see if it's still bad. Well, when I accelerate it vibrates and gets worse with speed. Once I let off the gas, it gets even worse. Like a really bad shaking of the entire truck. It still vibrates when speeding up, but not as bad.

What do you guys think this could be. I was thinking it could be a loose driveshaft or something like that. Going to check that now if I have the right tool.

PLEASE HELP. I leave tomorrow morning at 7am to head 5hrs to NC.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Whats shaking..???...:scratch:

...Could be U joints or loose wheels but your description is kind of vague..:dunno:

Sorry. I was kinda freaking out there for a second.

Just checked under the truck. Guess what!!!!!!!! The rear driveshaft where it connects to the rear axle(4 bolts) is fine, however, the part the connects to the transfer case is missing two bolts and the other 2 are really loose!!!! Yikes am I lucky that's all it did.

Now the task is trying to find those bolts? Any ideas? What size are theY?

...I don't have any books in front of me right now but a search turned up...

..The bolts are M12x1.75 bolts

The front flange torque at 12-16 ft-lbs. with Red Lock-tite

Driveshaft-to-transfer case bolts
-Through 2000: 12-16 ft/lbs
-2001 and later models: 83 ft/lbs

Driveshaft-to-rear axle bolts
-1991 through 1996
----With double-cardan U-joint: 70-95 ft/lbs
----With single-cardan U-joint: 8-15 ft/lbs
-1997 and later: 70-95 ft/lbs

We managed to throw some bolts on it to at least, Lord willing, hold it on there till we come across a ford dealership. There's one 45mins away.

I know Advance Auto carries a bunch of different size grade 8 bolts. I found out that two bolts were missing on my tranny where it connects to the engine, I just found a bolt size that fit, got it the right length to where i could torque it donw, and it's been good.

Might want to stop by there to though to see.

I know where i connects to the rearend you have to have the round bolt heads (dont know what they are called) i tryed the standard type and they were only good for a temp repair. It was impossible to torque them properly. Granted this was in the dark on the side of the road with a cell phone for light.

Went to 2 dealers to find the stinking bolts. 90 miles with a ghetto fix driving at 45 max! The second dealer thought they had them in, but didn't so one of the techs drove to his house shop and got some for me. Only charged for labor. Although it was $75 for not even an hour.

going to north carolina huh? you wouldnt happen to go to nascar tech would you?

wow i am glad your okay and nothing bad happen ...

going to north carolina huh? you wouldnt happen to go to nascar tech would you?

Yep! Sure am.
Where are you at in Mooresville? I just moved here Monday. I start school on Monday the 26th.

dude do you know where the bojangles is not too far down the road on 150?

across from the burger king?

Back