Help! Battery isnt charging when starting! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Battery isnt charging when starting!

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Long story short, I was doing the big 3, did the battery to body ground, and then when I was doing the alt to battery, the stock alt wire sparked against the alternator, (I know, VERY stupid mistake. I thought I had the pos. disconnected, but it slid over enough to touch the terminal again)

Its about to storm like hell outside, so I just undid the 0 gauge from the alt and everythings stock besides the neg. battery terminal, and the body ground.

I checked ALL the fuses, none are popped, loose, etc. Is there some kind of main circuit breaker or something?

The truck starts, and my meter shows 12v even. When I turn it off, it goes to about 12.4, then started it again and it was between 11.8 and 12.

I have to leave soon but im vehicle-less! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My battery light isnt on, and I just checked the readings at the alternator, thats only 12v too, which I think is just from the battery?

It dropped down to like 11.8v while running. I jumped the 2 big wires on the underhood fuse box and nothing.

Could that have really killed my alternator? That literally millisecond of a short on it? Im about to go buy one from AZ, I dont think I can get my belt off alone, and no ones around...damnit this f**king blows!

it probably fried the diodes in the alternator ,

i would say ,,,,duh losing,,

you probably need an alternator rebuild , or a new one,,

Losing for sure :(

But it would really mess the alt up even with the key off?

*Edit, yea I get what your saying now. I just hope I can get the thing swapped out by tomorrow at 4.

Did you check the 175 amp mega fuse in the distribution box?

This may sound stupid, but where is it on the box? Or better yet does anyon have a pic?

I jumped the 2 large wires on the box to eachother, nothing. Tried batt to either connection, nothing, I'm measuring 12v at the alt but I'm assuming that was just coming from the battery?

Turdle, is it in one of the fuseboxes? Or on the alt?

All the fuses in the fuse boxes are good, including #15. The megafuse is also good, ill have to check the light in the morning.

In the meantime...I have my solution for tomorrow morning
2011-04-15225226.jpg

disconnect the battery positive wire this time, and make sure the wires don't touch anything

Got 'er in this morning, everything is great again:thumbsup:

Thanks guys for your help!

Charlie Sheen is his own alternator, he has a metal ass that makes contact with prongs in the seat and charges like no other.

:D

I give you a few weeks before you break something else..

Oh yea me too; because I forgot I break things al the time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, inside the alternator.

Back