Help! (belt/radio?????) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! (belt/radio?????)

GoodrunofBDL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I have 2 questions I've owned an 03 sport, 04 sport trac, and now a 98 explorer all 3 have had the same motor 4.0 SOHC and all 3 have had the same problem the serpentine belt squeaks real bad after it gets wet? It does this for a couple of days and then goes away? Now the belt is newer and doesn't really need replaced but... I'm not sure what to do on this problem? 2nd question is what radio harness do I need for my radio it has 2 plugs on the back but it is not a mach stereo?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine was just doing this too, go buy some belt dressing

it is recommended that if you replace the belt that your also replace the idler and tensioner pulleys

I have 2 questions I've owned an 03 sport, 04 sport trac, and now a 98 explorer all 3 have had the same motor 4.0 SOHC and all 3 have had the same problem the serpentine belt squeaks real bad after it gets wet? It does this for a couple of days and then goes away? Now the belt is newer and doesn't really need replaced but... I'm not sure what to do on this problem? 2nd question is what radio harness do I need for my radio it has 2 plugs on the back but it is not a mach stereo?

About the radio question. A pic would be great. If not, is one of the plugs wide and flat? If the plug bodies are black, do they have a red face/surface visible only when they are unplugged?

No they aren't flat they are both more square shaped and 1 of them being slightly larger than the other one. This vehicle was originally equipped with a factory in console 6 disc changer if that helps any?

Do you have the back seat audio controls?

The only wiring harness I could find that looks like it works for mine has a RCA hookup and I do not need the RCA hookup. Can I use that one and just tape over that?

A '98 with Premium Audio and 6-disc changer should have an amp behind the plastic over the right rear wheel well.

Are you going to continue using the amp, or bypass it?

See I thought that it would have a subwoofer in the rear if it had an amp and it doesnt have an a sub in the rear?

I will try to pop that cover today and check and see if there's an amp back there or not?

I believe only the Mach system has the factory sub.

A Premium system is a "high" power system without a factory sub. Through '98 the amplifier is remote mounted. It is called the RCU (remote/rear chassis unit). '99-01 the amplifier is integrated into the head unit.

If you have the rear audio controls thats what the other cable is. Not needed if you don't want the people in the back having control.

Back