• Register Today It's free!

Help broken dana 35 bearing cap!

cashmoney37

Reaction score
City, State
South Bend, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
Any body know were I can get a bearing cap for my 2000 mountaineer dana 35?
I was doing a gear swap and was doing the final install and I didnt have the.differental seated all the way and when I torqed my caps one broke in half. Any idea were I can get ahold of one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Salvage yard...and its not recommended ..it sucks but u should find another housing . We build alot of rears and its very very rare that we find caps that fit more than one rear. And you won't know till it starts making noise.

ahh yes.. the bearing hole is machined with the cap on the housing.. so they are sort of a mated pair.. you could try your luck at another random cap, but it's likely it'll break too.

fwiw, i replaced a broken cap on a ford 9" rear, and the "fix" is still holding up (on my friends truck) im not saying its a good idea.. a new housing would be best.

Yea the only ones we have been able to do this with have been 9inch and I think maybe its been twice and we have tons of them to choose from but so far no luck with the tinplate rears

Is there really that much difference.between housings when gear sets.are so percise? I am geting a axel from a 95 with vacuum disconect. I am gona messure the caps and compare. I cant see beeing that much of a difference

The gear sets are not very precise that's why they get shimmed but yea we are still talking in the thousandths and the housings are never perfect.

Well wednsday the 95 housing will be here and I will do some camparing and measuring and I will make the best call of that, I will keep informed thank u

Since we are talking about replacing the cap, maybe use the ones from a D35 Jeep rear axle? They are cast (iron?) and not aluminum so they shouldn't crack. A potential problem with this approach is that since it is a different material, it will expand at a different rate than the rest of the housing as the axle warms up. Anyways, just a thought.

0705_4wd_09_z+dana_35_upgrades+rear_axle_drain.jpg

Hows it goin?

I just received my other axle today. I am going to work on it in the morning.

Heres what I did. The new capwas thousands of inch off, the cap rocked back in forth the tinyest bit. So I took my grinder with a flapper disk and took very little material away till it fit tight. No play so now just need to put axle back in truck thats the easy part

Back