Help Burns Pick A Tube Crawler!!! Building the EF Crawler... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Burns Pick A Tube Crawler!!! Building the EF Crawler...

Oh and Keith is a great guy -- he's the one that hooked me up with my oh-so green custom brake lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah i reading last night way to late thanks for OFN.

The famous green brake lines :)

He seems a little pricey to what i have found from other places

He seems a little pricey to what i have found from other places
He did raise his prices a bit -- but thats part of business I guess.

Great, just when I was starting to settle down on my webwheeling I had to go and look at this OFN site. Thanks guys, Thanks a lot.
Now you can be a webfabricator too :D

Oh and Keith is a great guy -- he's the one that hooked me up with my oh-so green custom brake lines.

Me too! :p:

And he's going to sell me a ProTools 105HD unless tdavis is getting rid of his. :D

And he's going to sell me a ProTools 105HD unless tdavis is getting rid of his. :D
Have you... started.. your owwn fab shop yet? Cauz I'm pretty sure you have all the tools necessary.

Have you... started.. your owwn fab shop yet? Cauz I'm pretty sure you have all the tools necessary.

I still need a two-post lift! and...

He did raise his prices a bit -- but thats part of business I guess.

He has to make up for that nice shop he moved into somehow :D

Keith has hooked me up with good prices in the past and his customer service is top notch. The OFN is a great board with some very experienced fabricators on there as well as those just starting out. There has been some neat projects posted up on there.

Im looking at a few people right now.

Keith i have not really said much to him because i can see all his stuff of his web page.

Im also talking to Anvil Recovery who is SPEEDCRAVIN off of pirate4x4.com. He is the one that built a shop and appt combo and showed the whole process on the web.

And then there is Trailworks Off Road which is in Gallatin, TN. There close to me so there gonna get some attention for that reason.

There is another but i have yet to talk to him very much.

One of the four is sticking out over the rest of the bunch.

Burns, the guy doing my fab work is really f'n cool. Not sure how his pricing compares, but he's built a couple buggies and has one starting next week.

Check out his website at www.hunteroffroad.com.

Call him up or send him and email. I spoke with him for at least 4 years before he got my business on the cage and he is a stand up guy. He keeps me informed of where every dollar is going and is staying right on the budget. I have a lot of respect for someone who operates like he does. He's on the web, but isn't the kind of guy who will boast and brag. Look at his personal buggy and the link to my cage build and you will see he's not afraid of the bender.

Plus he's trick at incorporating some stuff you like.

His buggy has Honda Civic headlights and a mustang cowl induction fiberglass hood. You wouldn't know that unless I told you, BUT he liked the style and built tubework around it.

We just had this discusson in his shop how it's actually cheaper to take a stock frame and build the buggy from that. If you look at his sheriff buggy it started life as a 76 Chevy pickup. Lots less to think about (motor mounts, tranny mounts, t-case mounts, wiring etc, but you can do what you want.

You want an Explorer hood on a custom buggy? John will build it.

Attachments

• Thor13.jpg
    Thor13.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 245

Thanks Dannyboy i check his site out and that sherrif build is sweet. However he is so far away.... Thats the only hang up for him.

I have however came to a decsion. I am working with Anvil Recovery in Fayetteville Arkansas in June on building a tube chassi that will intergrate a explorer grill, fenders, and possibly headlights. He said i would be explorer looking.

Stay tuned

Those axles are wild looking. Im going to have to check them out just for that reason...

Thanks

I just wanted to add

As for my previous post abought differentials. On a low pinion differential in the front of a vehicle the pinion drives on the coast side of the ring gear. This is why a high pinion diff is concidered stronger, because the pinion drives the drive side of the ring gear. If you try to flip a diff upside down it will turn backwords any where you put it. This is why you would have to go with Hi9 or currie to have a high pinion 9" (Hi9) or 8.8(currie) , either of witch can be run in the front or rear differential. (I would rest my case there but I will contenue on. On the output of the transfer case the driveshafts turn in the same direction, but if you think abought how you need right hand thread and left hand thread hymes on a link set up to get any adjustability you will see that front and rear imputs are actuly opposite. Now if you put a front diff in the rear and turn it in the same direction as it turns in the front (which would be in reverse, remember driving on the coast side)it would turn the tires backwords. But if you drive the gear set on the drive side it would turn the tires forward. So in fact the diff is turning oppisite as it was in the front but it is not flipped but turned 180 degrees so the tires drive in the right direction. I hope that is clear as mud.:eek: Just check out currie high pinnion or Hi9 they use the same pig in both ends. Sorry for the hyjack and the delay I've been pondering the issue for days. Good luck Burns.

Just check out currie high pinnion or Hi9 they use the same pig in both ends.

I wouldn't even consider Currie's hi-pinion 9 inch...they use machined 8.8 gears. True hi-9 is called called that for a reason, they are the only company using Ford 9 inch gears in a hi pinion diff.

Thanks DB_1 I was actuly trying to proove a point. The Hi9 actuly uses a custom set of reverse cut gears made by richmond , they are suposed to be equivelint to standard cut 9" gears. Personaly I'm impressed and If I can justify the expense of all of the extra parts it would require one may go in the front of the Ranger when I do my sas. Also since Currie dose not offer the third pinion berring and the larger gear contact patch I could hardly justify the expense over a stickish hp44 or hp60.

Well we are no longer ruling out the 2.5s.

More and more points me that way but there is a lot of exploring to do

Settle on an axle and start the build!! We need pics!!! :D

Thats the prob. There are so many pros and cons to each axle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well there is no such thing as a perfect rig :D -- just gotta have confidence in yourself and build it to the best of your abilities.

Back